Humax HDR-Fox T2 Frozen Screen on System Start up when HDD USB attached

bobby1004

Hi, I have added an additional hard drive to the unit via usb, formatted by the Humax box. Watching/copying files works just fine, new HDD only powers up when needed. The problem: when the unit is switched on by the remote, the system powers up, and so does HDD via USB which freezes Humax at 'system start up screen'. I have to switch unit off at back for any response as remote does not operate. When the additional HDD via USB is not attached, there is no problem. I am presuming as this is the method to manually update the system software, this is possibly causing the issue. I would like to avoid plugging the HDD in and out all the time. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If the External USB HDD is powered from the Humax USB socket there may be a problem because the USB HDD needs more power than the Humax can supply, If the USB HDD is powered by a seperate (mains) power supply then there should not be a problem. As long as you don't have any *.hdf software update files residing on the USB HDD then there should be no problem due to the 'Manual Update System'

If the External USB HDD is powered from the Humax USB socket there may be a problem because the USB HDD needs more power than the Humax can supply, If the USB HDD is powered by a seperate (mains) power supply then there should not be a problem. As long as you don't have any *.hdf software update files residing on the USB HDD then there should be no problem due to the 'Manual Update System'

Thanks for the response. The USB HDD is a Toshiba 1TB which is powered only by USB. There are no update files on it, which is why I am a little confused as to the problem.
The Toshiba works just fine for playing and transfering files, switches off when not used, the freeze issue is only when the Humax starts up after standby. I may just have to give up on this one.....Thanks again

As Ezra says, it could be a power problem - you'll find the same thing reported on lots of (different) systems, and it almost always turns out to be too great a power demand on the USB port(s) at bootup.
A favourite place for it to turn up was when lots of people used broadband modems plugged into USB.

Derek

Is this drive USB3 by any chance? See HERE (click).

However, I have to say I am more inclined to think this is an initialisation lock-up due to some kind of incompatibility. You could try reformatting the drive - what format is it at the moment?

I has exactly the same issue with a rather old 250GB mains-powered Buffalo hard drive. It needed to be disconnected in order to boot the Hummy, after which it could be reattached and worked perfectly. Eventually I gave up with it. I now have a newer 1TB Buffalo drive connected - also mains powered - and it works fine. I suspect that there are such things as non-compatible drives, just as there seem to be non-compatible USB sticks.

I've had this issue before with a buffalo 500gb USB powered drive.
Personally, I feel it's a timing issue rather than power draw or compatibility.

I say timing because I think the hdr has an inherent issue with internal timing, which leads to hdmi handshake issues and the occasional external HDD issues.

The humax is literally the only device I own that has these types of issues.
And no other device I own has ever had the sort of hdmi handshake issues experienced with this box.
God knows why they can't just write solid code for hdmi like other manufacturers.

Thanks very much for the responses. The drive is a new USB3, I used the Humax to format it, not sure exactly what format it is, all 3 of my laptops acknowledge it a drive, but that's just about it. I am also inclined to think it's also to do with timing, if the Humax had even a 5 second delay before it acknowledged external ports, then there would be no issue. I shall investigate the 1TB Buffalo drive as it works ok, thanks Fenlander. Love the Humax, though they haven't made things as simple as they could have though. I can attach almost anything to my TV via USB, and it will welcome it with open arms, I won't try the toaster though...

As it is formatted using the Humax it will be Ext3. Does it do the same thing in both ports?

A USB3 drive will be backwards compatible with the Humax's USB2 port, but the USB3 spec. allows for more current to be drawn than the USB2 spec. A HDD will draw a lot more current when it is first starting up than it does when it's running and it maybe that it is struggling to get started due to lack of current, sometimes drives have a seperate power supply so that they don't have to rely on the USB port for power. It would be possible to use a seperate power supply but it is not certain that this is the problem

Ok, so the update is that the Buffalo arrived today, attached and works well, just a little delay on start up. Thanks to all for the advice, especially Fenlander. The lessons learnt is I should have joined this forum first before buying the Toshiba, but then again I have a use for the spare storage as additional lap top back up. I am trying to get the best out of the Humax, I wish it has two rear and one front USB port, as if you use wifi, you have one ugly lead poking out the front. Anyway. I am considering upgrading the software with the 'unoffical update', with gives more menu/web options, this time I will read up 'here' to make sure this is worth the risk of doing.

Back