Poll Humax HDR & HD T2 IPTV Support

Should Humax issue an update to support IPTV on the HDR & HD T2 models?

• Total voters

ChrisDaniels

Following my response from Humax regarding the new IPTV channels, I thought it would be interesting to gauge the interest in this feature.

Humax have stated that the Freeview+ HD specification mandates that all products should support IPTV (MHEG5-IC Streaming), but because the Humax products launched before the spec was finalised, they do not have to update the products to support it.

Of course on the flipside to my answer of "yes of course" lets not forget that an opportunity to flog a newer model would never be wasted by any tech manufacturer - why release a free update when they can make money selling an updated box instead (it never did the fruit based company any harm - they release hardware that obviously lacks functions so they can sell you the whypad2 and 3 and 4....)

Of course on the flipside to my answer of "yes of course" lets not forget that an opportunity to flog a newer model would never be wasted by any tech manufacturer - why release a free update when they can make money selling an updated box instead (it never did the fruit based company any harm - they release hardware that obviously lacks functions so they can sell you the whypad2 and 3 and 4....)
Historically Humax have not played that game. The 9200 went through at least two major functionality updates that many manufacturers would have used as an excuse to introduce a new model.

That sounds promising then! I shall wait (patiently) for a pleasant surprise from Humax. Disengage synical mode :) (I haven't had enough cups of tea this morning)

I voted "not interested" because I'm probably not, but more to the point I have doubts that it would be possible to do it at all.

An awful lot of the existing functionality is handled in hardware rather than software - I would lay a reasonable bet on the video decoding being hardware based too. Adding a new codec to the mix isn't going to be a case of a firmware update.

No, it's just they need to update the middleware that handles the mheg5-IC.
The stream is just a Ts file.

Oh, that's OK then. I did mention in the other topic I wasn't sure what was involved with MHEG. If it uses an encoding format that is close enough to the existing set, then it depends on what it would take to strip it and feed it.

Back