Humax HDR Sat & Terrestial file format exchange?

borisd0

At present I'm a Humax FoxSat HDR user but am considering buying also a Freeview Humax HDR.
Can recordings (lets say SD only) be exchanged between Sat & terrestial machines via a external USB drive?

Yes, under specific circumstances.

First, the recording must be unencrypted. That's easy for HDR-FOX with StDef - for full info see Things Every... (click) section 5. For the Foxsat I believe it is necessary to either install a patch for recording without encryption from FreeSat or to switch to non-FreeSat mode.

Second, having obtained a USB copy of the recording, delete everything except the .TS file. The "sidecar" properties files that get copied with it are not compatible between the HDR-FOX and the Foxsat, and will stop the recording playing.

There may also be ways to share the content via the network connections - the HDR-FOX has DLNA server and client functions, and I believe the Foxsat can have server functions added via the Mediatomb package.

I understand that the Foxsat will only play recordings that have the correct sidecar files present, these can be generated using AV2HDR.

For the Foxsat I believe it is necessary to either install a patch for recording without encryption from FreeSat or to switch to non-FreeSat mode.
That's not quite right; the FOXSAT does not encrypt SD recordings which is what the OP was asking about.

Yes I know the Foxsat only encrypts HD recordings.
I have two machines and I transfer recordings between them but HD transfers do not work.
I'm thinking of buying a Freeview HDR and I'm asking can I transfer recording made by this to the Foxsats.?

I'm thinking of buying a Freeview HDR and I'm asking can I transfer recording made by this to the Foxsats.?
Yes, providing the HDR-FOX T2's SD recording has been decrypted, and the sidecar files have been removed, and replaced with the correct Foxsat ones using AV2HDR.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll read up on "decrypt", "sidecar files" and AV2HDR. Is the later freely available?

The freeview box saves recordings with AAC audio which the Foxsat cannot play. The audio would need to be demuxed, transcoded to AC3 or MPEG2, and remuxed again before it could be used.

It seems that a fair amount of effort is required to achieve my objective (file transfer between Freeview HDR & Foxsat HDR) and is probably not worthwhile.
Thanks again to all.

I still think network streaming is your best bet, but I have no experience of doing so between HDR-FOX and FoxsatHDR.

The freeview box saves recordings with AAC audio which the Foxsat cannot play. The audio would need to be demuxed, transcoded to AC3 or MPEG2, and remuxed again before it could be used.
Is SD content OK? I thought that it was only freeview HD that used AAC?

Edit: sorry, I think that BH has already answered my question:oops:

Back