Humax looses sound and picture goes pink.

MGMAN239

Humax 5000t on turning the box on it takes a while to boot up it comes on as normal then occasionally we loose the sound and the picture goes pink and then returns to normal then turns on and off, i have spoken to Humax help line they suggested a Factory reset and a Signal check which i have done and it is around 93 to 95 .
I would be greatful if anyone can throw some light on my problem.

It would have been informative to post a photo of this. Do you mean the screen is a uniform pink, or is it the normal video with a pink cast?
At the moment fingers crossed by changing the HDMI cable it’s behaving it’s self but if it plays up again I will post a photo

That's odd. Maybe reseating the cable has helped mend a bad connection, but the way HDMI works it should be all or nothing. Audio and video is carried in a single stream of digital data over the same conductors, so video artefacts (rather than intermittent or total loss) must be originated at source or "created" at destination.

the way HDMI works it should be all or nothing
That's not true, although there are no conductors dedicated to the transmission of audio only, there are pairs of conductors dedicated to the transmission of R or G or B only, so the loss (or attenuation) of individual conductors can cause a colour imbalance

Isn't this a really old problem? I used to get this all the time, especially when the box was recording. HDCP?

That's not true, although there are no conductors dedicated to the transmission of audio only, there are pairs of conductors dedicated to the transmission of R or G or B only, so the loss (or attenuation) of individual conductors can cause a colour imbalance
I would appreciate a reference to that information. Although there are three TMDS data pairs plus a clock pair, I am not aware that these pairs are specifically dedicated to individual colour channels. Rather, I believe these are "lanes" of aggregated data.

Whether the interface is able to adapt to the loss of one or two pairs (with a commensurate loss of bandwidth) is another matter.

tmds-flow.4ddc26b8.png

some quotes from the link above :-
TMDS is a lot like RGBHV, and much like the analog world we live in today, in that it uses four channels: Red, Green, Blue and Clock
There are three twisted pairs for Red, Green and Blue, plus a fourth twisted pair for sync
What you see here should make you feel pretty good because it is very familiar. In the middle, you see the following TMDS channels: 0 (Blue), 1(Green) and 2 (Red).

Thanks.

I'm not contradicting you, but that article is not an official source, and does not seem to explain how the audio data is added.

I'm not contradicting you, but that article is not an official source, and does not seem to explain how the audio data is added.

No you are not contradicting me you are contradicting the guy who wrote the article, I'm guessing that the article only becomes official when you have appoved it?

I'm guessing that the article only becomes official when you have appoved it?
It would be nice to see some actual specifications instead of just a rambling explanation. By "official", I mean a standards body - nowt wrong with that! What would you take to be official?

It gets fitted into the line/field blanking in the time honoured tradition. Similar to how ancillary data gets added to SDI signals (serial digital interface) for pro. kit, or how analogue PAL used Sound-in-Syncs (SiS) on distribution/contribution circuits.
Not surprisingly, start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

What would you take to be official?
Page 88 of 276 of the HDMI Spec. Has this

2021-02-21_16.36.52.jpg
The following companies have places their names on page 1 of this document: -

High-Definition Multimedia Interface
Specification Version 1.3a
Hitachi, Ltd.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Philips Consumer Electronics, International B.V.
Silicon Image, Inc.
Sony Corporation
Thomson Inc.
Toshiba Corporation

Page 88 of 276 of the HDMI Spec. Has this
Yep, thanks, that's much more like it.

The following companies have places their names on page 1 of this document:
So?

You haven't said why you think I should consider the article you first referenced as "official", other than it sort-of supporting your view rather than mine.

I never understood why so-called open standards are so closed/expensive to mere mortals.
So that the standards committee can recoup some of their costs, and/or impose a cost of entry on anyone wanting to join the party who did not contribute to the intial effort. An open standard is one which is available to all - not necessarily free to all.

Back