Humax Portal

humstanator

What content is currently provided by the Humax Portal on the HD-FOX T2? A quick Google returns references to iPlayer, YouTube and Flickr but they date from a year ago. Have any other catch-up services been added since?

Also... if one is watching, say, iPlayer, is it possible to record from live TV to the external USB drive at the same time? Or is the wee box too busy with the streaming?

The portal content is the same as on the HDR-FOX; iPlayer is the only catch-up service available. Other than that there is Wikipedia, Flickr, YouTube, Picassa, and Teletext Holidays.

By installing the Custom Software an enhanced portal is available which accesses experimental services that have been found on the Humax servers. If you have a Sky account to use, these services include Sky Player which can access live and on-demand Sky services.

Use of the portal suspends access to live broadcast, but should not interfere with scheduled recordings.

Thanks Black Hole, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Sorry it has taken so long for me to respond, the notification email went to my Spam folder.

I have one more question - if I can use the portal and run scheduled recordings at the same time... would Live Pause continue to record whilst using the portal?

I'm a bit confused - you would not be viewing live and therefore have no access to live pause. iPlayer has its own playback controls, and you can indeed pause it.

However, I'm not certain that the HD-FOX + USB drive provides a live buffer at all (I know the HDR-FOX does). Can somebody confirm one way or the other?

Oh yes, there's a setting.

Just in case you mean will the live buffer continue to buffer while using the portal, the answer is no.

@Black Hole

Yes, I meant would the live buffer continue to buffer while using the portal.

Alternatively, could I manually start recording something and then switch to the portal, and have the recording continue?

@ChrisDaniels

When you say "timeshift is enabled" what do you mean?

Thanks guys.

I should think so, perhaps somebody with an appropriate setup could test it for you (my HD-FOX doesn't have an aerial feed, nor does it have a hard drive).

Making the HD-FOX into a PVR requires attaching a USB2 hard drive up to 1TB in size, and formatting it using the HD-FOX menus so as to prepare it for recording. The timeshift buffer has to be enabled by further menu options.

Thanks Graham - I just logged in here to post that confirmation myself!

I think that's very neat, that whilst recording a program I have the choice of watching iPlayer OR watching a different live TV channel through my TV (which has a Freeview HD tuner built-in).

Very pleased so far with my bargain box!

Thanks Graham - I just logged in here to post that confirmation myself!

I think that's very neat, that whilst recording a program I have the choice of watching iPlayer OR watching a different live TV channel through my TV (which has a Freeview HD tuner built-in).

Very pleased so far with my bargain box!

You can also watch a second channel if it's on the same mux as the recording without using the TV. Eg Record any HD channel watch any other.

You can access the portal while the HD FOX T2 is recording. Just tried it. :)
This is curious. I just tried to record off air simultaneously with playing a programme via iPlayer, and failed. The HD-FOX had to switch channels to record (being challenged in the tuner department), and popped up the usual message saying it was about to - and when it did, the portal closed and went to live TV. I then resumed the iPlayer programme, and there was no sign of the recording.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that I had actually set a reminder rather than a recording. Experiments in order!

Okay, a few experiments later and I confirm the HD-FOX records fine (and in the background) when iPlayer is running, even if it was necessary to change channel so to do. It's when a reminder is scheduled that it will interrupt the portal.

Back