Humax PVR 5000t new

TMS

I have a new Humax 5000t, straight out of the box, setting up proved a little fiddly as the on screen instruction did not appear. This proved to be that the unit went straight search returning a blank screen. into channel. Got that sorted, and it is working.

But a new issue has started, the unit turns itself off completely, it therefore does not record and you loose the RF bypass signal, so you cannot use the telly without starting the Humax. This surely cannot not be right, seems pointless to have a recorder that turns itself off

My old Humax the RF signal bypasses even when it is off............ Humax are not very helpful, so before I pack this unit up and sent it back, can anyone help......

I have a new Humax 5000t, straight out of the box, setting up proved a little fiddly as the on screen instruction did not appear. This proved to be that the unit went straight search returning a blank screen. into channel. Got that sorted, and it is working.
But a new issue has started, the unit turns itself off completely, it therefore does not record ...
This surely cannot not be right
The recording aspect of that shouldn't be happening with a 5000T.
Before going much further, have you checked that the latest version of the software is installed. Units coming out of the factory do not always have the latest software, and then by the time it is installed in someone's home there could also be more up to date, and hopefully improved, versions available.

The version number of the latest version can be found via the following link. Also if your 5000T internet connectivity is up and running you can also download via that site to a PC and then update using a USB stick or HDD, but that hopefully won't be necessary.
https://uk.humaxdigital.com/support/?product_id=3793&curr_page=sw_release

My old Humax the RF signal bypasses even when it is off............
Modern recorders are not permitted to be sold in the UK if by default they use more than 0.5 watt in standby. The RF signal can pass through in standby, but you will need to go into the menus, and turn off Power Saving Mode, as by default it is turned on.

Thank you for the response, I have changed that setting. I note the text says, that when set to on, it terns off the set after 4 hours of inactively, whereas mine turned off after a few minutes. On one occasion it seemed to go off when I turned the telly off. I will see how it goes

Perhaps you can help with another issue please regarding screen format. The telly is 16:9, and that is what this what the 900t is set up for, as is my old Humax, and DVD player.
However, when watching the television through the 9000t, most channels except ITV fill the screen, but ITV changes to 4:3. I have also now done a test recording, and on replay that also plays back at 4:3.
I have checked different setting on the 9000t, but have not been able to resolve this. I have also checked the setting on the TV, but that does not resolve it, and changing the setting messes up the DVD player, and the old Humax, (this will be scrapped once we have cleared up the old recordings)

I also noted that in checking the signal strength for the tuners, only one of the three tuners has listed channels. Tuner 1, signal 74% quality 100%, the other 2, no signal, or quality..... is that normal?
I have not managed to find where to retune yet..... I thought this might be an issue caused during initial start up when it lock up, and did not show the set up pages.

Thank you for the response, I have changed that setting. I note the text says, that when set to on, it terns off the set after 4 hours of inactively, whereas mine turned off after a few minutes. On one occasion it seemed to go off when I turned the telly off. I will see how it goes

Perhaps you can help with another issue please regarding screen format. The telly is 16:9, and that is what this what the 900t is set up for, as is my old Humax, and DVD player.
However, when watching the television through the 9000t, most channels except ITV fill the screen, but ITV changes to 4:3. I have also now done a test recording, and on replay that also plays back at 4:3.
I have checked different setting on the 9000t, but have not been able to resolve this. I have also checked the setting on the TV, but that does not resolve it, and changing the setting messes up the DVD player, and the old Humax, (this will be scrapped once we have cleared up the old recordings)

I also noted that in checking the signal strength for the tuners, only one of the three tuners has listed channels. Tuner 1, signal 74% quality 100%, the other 2, no signal, or quality..... is that normal?
I have not managed to find where to retune yet..... I thought this might be an issue caused during initial start up when it lock up, and did not show the set up pages.
If you are only watching one channel then only one tuner is needed.
If you are watching one channel and recording another channel broadcast on a different multiplex two tuners will be used.
For example recording BBC1 HD at 1pm for example while watching ITV3 at the same time you will see two tuners are being used.
If recording BBC1 HD at 1pm and recording ITV3 at the same time and also recording Dave at the same time you will see three tuners being used.

Retuning is carried out through Settings> Channel Setting> Automatic Channel Search
or if you know the individual multiplexes (MUX) broadcast by your nearest Transmitter use the Manual Search function.

As for screen settings, my 5000T is set as:
Settings> General Settings>
Video> 16:9
Display Format> Auto
Resolution> 1080p
SD Output> Off.

I would then check your TVs and other devices own screen settings, for example on my Sony TV the screen settings are:
Screen Format: Full
Auto Format: On
Auto Display Area: Off
Display Area: Full Pixel

Other TV makes will have their own screen set up preferences.

Under Settings> Advanced Settings> Power Timer both options for Power On and Off are set to Off.
Power Management> Automatic Power Down> Off
Power Management> Power Saving Mode> Off

My Humax 5000T is my secondary device, I have a Humax Aura as the primary PVR on my system.

An on that note why did you decide to buy the 5000T rather than the Aura.

but ITV changes to 4:3. I have also now done a test recording, and on replay that also plays back at 4:3.
Be aware that some TV is 4:3 (eg re-runs of archive recordings). This is handled in one of two ways:
  1. There is an aspect ratio flag in the broadcast stream; if set to "4:3" the receiver decodes the video as having 4:3 aspect.

2. Some services broadcast 16:9 but fit the 4:3 content within that (with "pillar box" black bars at the sides to fill 16:9, actually as part of the video data). Their channel ident graphic (DOG) is superimposed on the 16:9 frame.
For the latter, the receiver doesn't have to do anything. The aspect ratio flag remains "16:9" and the 16:9 broadcast frame goes to the display at 16:9. However, for the former, the aspect ratio flag has to be interpreted and acted on, otherwise the 4:3 gets stretched horizontally to fill 16:9 (making anything in the picture look unnaturally short and fat)... but some people seem to prefer that than have black pillar-box bars.

Obviously, if the broadcaster gets the aspect ratio flag wrong (and it can happen), the TV/STB will (or should) act on the flag and the content will be displayed incorrectly. That's not the fault of the TV/STB. And as the flag is in the recording too (a DVB recording is simply the data stream as broadcast), playing a recording has the same effect.

However, the user has a certain amount of control. I don't know the 5000T, but typically a STB has a couple of settings to play with:
  1. Display aspect. You can tell the box whether your TV is 16:9 or 4:3 (but I guess this is becoming less common now). This can have some "interesting" results if you tell it the wrong thing.

2. How to handle 4:3 content on 16:9 output (or 16:9 content on 4:3 output):
    • Pillar box (for 16:9 display, puts black bars down the side of 4:3 content)
    • Letter box (for 4:3 display, puts black bars top and bottom of 16:9 content)
    • Zoom (expands the centre of the picture so the screen is filled)
    • Auto (stretches the picture in the appropriate direction to fill the screen, but distorts proportions in the process)
The TV itself will have other picture format settings, but for this stuff to make sense it should be "16:9" (presuming it is a 16:9 TV). Even though it's digital, broadcast TV still has ragged edges and expects TVs to crop the edges. That's why if you use a TV as a computer display it looses the edges of the desktop (unless you set the picture format to "pixel"/"1:1"/"just display").

Things Every... (click) section 16.

No it doesn't.
Yes it does. Try watching Breakfast in "just scan" some time - the picture width is all over the place with the different video sources.

The 16:9 picture format setting on a TV overscans by 5% (or whatever) for a reason. I said it was stupid now transmission is digital many moons ago, but nonetheless it's a fact.

Back