Humax PVR identifying itself ?

Sargan

I have a Humax PVR FOX T2
running ver 3.13 (4028)

I have just changed my TV to a Samsung S95, when I plugged in the various devices into the HDMI ports, when selected, they correctly identified themselves.
TheTV created an icon in Home screen, and will make use of it (via source selection) easier in future.

The Humax though is not recognised, it works but as an unknown device.

Is there anything I need to enable in the settings to get it to identify itself.

Last edited:
This will be some feature of a revised HDMI spec which post-dates the version implemented on the HDR-FOX. Don't forget the HDR-FOX is 12 years old.

On my LG TV I can go into the TV Settings to set a label for each device and an appropriate icon

That presumes devices are permanently connected to specific HDMI inputs. The OP is talking about devices responding to ID queries via an external switch box.

BTW: my computer monitor (ElectriQ) provides an ID string via HDMI to my PC, but the manufacturer is a three letter code which ElectriQ have chosen (or been assigned) "WAN"... but the OS (Linux Mint) looks it up and finds the code is reserved so my monitor is announced as "do not use"!

No … I am referring to permanently connected devices … each device has its own cable to a dedicated HDMI socket on the TV.

my AV amp is even older but it correctly identifies it as ‘Home Theatre’ but not make or model.

On my Samsung TV I can name and rename any of the home screen icons to anything I want, I changed my unknown T2 to hummy and I expect you can too though why do you not connect it to your AV amp for better sound quality ?

I appreciate I could lable .... the key difference is, if I switch on my Amazon FireTV for example, the port is detected TV switches source automatically to that HDMI input.
I was trying to get same action for HUMAX.

Moving goalposts!

I would find it bloody annoying to have the TV change sources just because something got turned on.

On my Samsung TV I can name and rename any of the home screen icons to anything I want, I changed my unknown T2 to hummy and I expect you can too though why do you not connect it to your AV amp for better sound quality ?
Previously (until the new TV) all devices went via a Yamaha AV Home Theatre amp ..... great sound, especially with the 6.1 M&K speaker set up.

However new TV now has a S800B Soundbar and Powered sub-bass, the advantage is it all works correctly with TV 'one remote' plus the sound now supports 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos & DTS.X and which my previous amp does not.
Does means I now have to find somewhere to sell the old system.
I had hoped to be able to hook in the existing 400W sub-bass, but there is no 'physical sub-bass output so nothing to get a feed from.

Just audio evolution ... when I bought the AV amp used to listed to loads of CD's ... just don't do that anymore, only gets used for TV.
Moving goalposts!

Sorry if it seems that ... but I assumed the Humax identifying itself (and switching source) may have been an option.
None of the devices did this previously via the amp .... but found they now plugged direct into TV ..... hence the Q.
I understand it does not support this so issue closed.

Last edited:
I have not had any false source switching ..... only when I power up the device ... does TV switch to it.
Perhaps I have been lucky with devices .. they are not connected to eArc input

Mine does, but only when the source in question is on the eARC input. Still bloody annoying.
In the past the TV only 'went' automatically to the satellite box or disc player, not the FOXs. But when the Aura replaced a FOX it all became insanely tricky, partly because the Aura and TV are both Android with very similar home screens, etc, so we often didn't know what we were actually looking at (and thus what to do to get where we wanted) and also because it seemed to keep jumping between inputs at times.

So I eventually turned the auto-select function off on the TV - it's just manual source selection now.

Back