Humax PVR9200T quality issue.

Tony Norton

Hi all,

we've had our Hummy now for nearly 3 years and whilst I am aware that it 'swallows' sound when used as the primary digital receiver, I have noticed that both sound and video quality have deteriorated a little lately. I'm using as a benchmark the sound and video quality of our Sony 40HX803. I guess that, as it is possible to rewind, pause etc when watching a program live, everything that is received by the Humax is recorded, if only over a limited time span, which means that the harddrive is recorded on, and recorded over, time and time again.

Is it possible that re-formatting the harddrive could improve the quality?

Tony N

I doubt that reformatting will change quality. First thing to do is reseat each end of the SCART lead and make sure that it doesn't have any other cables in close proximity. Also check in the A/V control menu that the TV SCART is set to RGB output.

I doubt that reformatting will change quality. First thing to do is reseat each end of the SCART lead and make sure that it doesn't have any other cables in close proximity. Also check in the A/V control menu that the TV SCART is set to RGB output.

Thanks Martin,

I have checked, and re-seated, the SCART connectors, and the lead, which is an allegedly 'high quality' (gold plated pins, screened, etc and nearly 15mm thick!) one, doesn't run in parallel with any other cables but mostly crosses them at 90 deg or thereabouts. I haven't checked TV SCART setting but I'm pretty sure it will be RGB.

Looks like I'll probably either have to live with the slight reduction in quality, or make more use of the TV receiver when watching live. We're quite often recording a channel whilst watching something else, I like to record ITV programmes so I can zap through the ads when watching the recordings. Could the fact that we are mostly forcing the Humax to process 2 channels at the same time have any effect?

Tony N

Could the fact that we are mostly forcing the Humax to process 2 channels at the same time have any effect?

I doubt it. What is saved to disk is the exact digital stream as received. Maybe someone else will be along in due course that has a better idea about your problem. One other thought, modern TVs often have adjustable picture settings for each input; have you tried adjusting the settings for the SCART input that the Humax is using?

I doubt it. What is saved to disk is the exact digital stream as received. Maybe someone else will be along in due course that has a better idea about your problem. One other thought, modern TVs often have adjustable picture settings for each input; have you tried adjusting the settings for the SCART input that the Humax is using?

I think Martin has identified your 'problem' with his last comment.

I have a new Sony TV and found by accident that you can assign different sound and picture settings to different inputs and even programme types.

You will need to consult the manual for your particular TV, but on mine, the settings were found under 'Options' - 'Sound'. The explanation of these functions in the manual isn't very comprehensive, so an online search for more info might be required!

Back