Humax recording encryption

I just did the same on csudcy's dump and got:

Key: @cb409
Key: @cb40a
Key: @cb40b
Key: @cb40c

and on one of the HD dumps and got no possible key blocks in that range...

Hmm - not looking too hopeful then :( In other news the new firmware for the HD is finally out (http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads)- lets hope at least that it now behaves like the HRD (decrypting when copying to another volume)... Personally I'd rather have this than the iPlayer functionality! Will find out tonight - my hopes aren't high though...

Hmm - not looking too hopeful then :( In other news the new firmware for the HD is finally out (http://beta.humaxonline.co.uk/downloads)- lets hope at least that it now behaves like the HRD (decrypting when copying to another volume)... Personally I'd rather have this that the iplayer functionality! Will find out tonight - my hopes aren't high though...
Thanks for the heads up, I'd given up checking the beta site, twitter, facebook and DTG download schedule for this. Will install later to try iplayer.

af123 will you be willing to produce a new firmware update so us HD users can have both iplayer and all the additions you've made possible? (pretty please :))

Thanks for the heads up, I'd given up checking the beta site, twitter, facebook and DTG download schedule for this. Will install later to try iplayer.
)
I know what you mean - much more exciting development going on here than from Humax :) If only we could get over the encryption problem, this box would do all I need from it. Fingers crossed... Af123, I'm assuming we should be ok installing the new firmware over the top of your modded one - will the mods remain? Should we roll back first to be safe?

Thanks

Steve

af123 will you be willing to produce a new firmware update so us HD users can have both iplayer and all the additions you've made possible? (pretty please :))

Yes, I'll build one this evening.

Af123, I'm assuming we should be ok installing the new firmware over the top of your modded one - will the mods remain? Should we roll back first to be safe?

it should install fine over the mod, but the custom stuff will become dormant until you put a modded one back on. No need to roll back first.

I guess better late than never!

Has anybody had a look at the codecs issue yet? Or are they all hardware based?

I would not hold your breath - the tv portal is even slower than the HDR one - infact its so slow it loads the screen up in blocks, and can take 10-15 seconds to fully display a page! - And no its not my internet connection!!!

Yes, I'll build one this evening.

Spoke too soon - it's quite a different layout so needs more investigation.

Out of interest, has anyone tried to downgrade back to the previous version again?

Out of interest, has anyone tried to downgrade back to the previous version again?

af123,

Have tried going back - see thread in HD forum. Appears to lock on boot-up. Am now back to new software at the moment. Any thing you want me to try?

Trevor

Just tried copying to a second volume (using a powered usb hub) with the new firmware, and sadly Humax don't seem to have made it decrypt SD recordings like on the HDR. Can't say I'm surprised (Humax only promised this several months ago), but it did get my hopes up to see it now copies in the background like the HDR - you'd think the code base would be fairly identical for this bit. Anyone got any fresh ideas on how to crack this problem?
All I can think of is working out how to write our own code to access the decrypting hardware (pretty tricky without an sdk), or maybe even saving out the decoded data / screen buffer from memory during playback...

Steve

Also tried reverting to your last HD release and had the same issues as Trevor.

You can tell they released this due to preasure from complaints. Its painfully slow and clearly a rush job.

Once I can root it with the TV portal up and running I'm going to look at where its connecting up to and see if I can build a better local web based frontend for the portal. Mainly to give full URL control!

Thanks to af123, I am able to telnet to the box - YAY.

More testing required, but have run opkg update, opkg install busybox, virtual-disk, cifs.

Have mounted a cifs directory!

Trevor

Thanks to af123, I am able to telnet to the box - YAY.

More testing required, but have run opkg update, opkg install busybox, virtual-disk, cifs.

Have mounted a cifs directory!

Trevor
How did you get telnet up and running again after the update?

af123 sent me a new hdf file to try. He said he would publish it if it worked for me.

Interestingly, the "media" button - it's slow with a cifs mounted files system - shows up the "mod" directory. Don't know if that would be visible without the virtual-disk package, or without the hard drive. The cifs drive is showing up under usb drive as well.

Trevor

Btw, the beta changes the flash layout to match the HDR (more or less) so the interesting block is now mtd3 on both!

Just a thought - when the HRD does its "decrypting on copy", does it only happen when going from the internal drive to an external/virtual one? What if you have an encrypted file on an external/virtual drive, and copy to different external/virtual - would it decrypt it? I'm basically just wondering if the copy code only decrypts from a particular source drive, and if so maybe the HD could be fooled in to thinking it has the same setup.

Steve

Back