Humax seems to have done a factory reset all on its own

ejstubbs

I started up the Humax this evening and there was a screen I don't recall ever seeing before, asking me to choose my subtitle preferences. After faffing about with the box for a while, including a full power-off and restart from scratch, It turned out that it was going through the initialisation process from scratch. It's been so long since I did that - way back when I first got the box sometime in the noughties - that I'd completely forgotten what it was like. Once I'd let it run through the initialisation process, including a full channel re-scan, I found, not unexpectedly, that our favourites had gone, along with our recording schedule. Fortunately the custom firmware was still installed and working, and I run the package that backs those up daily, so I was able to recover them. But I'm still mightily puzzled as to why the box should apparently have decided to do a full factory reset of its own accord.

Everything else seems to be OK: our recordings are still there. and having recovered the schedule it seems to be recording and playing back just fine.

I did notice that the box failed to record The Repair Shop this afternoon, so I assume that it had done whatever it had done to itself sometime between it being put into standby last night, and 15:45 this afternoon.

Has anyone else ever encountered such behaviour?

I'm a tad worried that it might be symptomatic of something critical being about to fail permanently :eek:

CORRECTION: I've just looked at the activity log and that shows that the box recorded Louis Theroux at ~01:30 last night, and did its "disable OTA" wakeup at 04:20 (TBH I'd forgotten that was still in the schedule; I should probably get rid because I have the relevant 'disable' packages installed). So the crash or whatever it was must have occurred sometime between 04:45 and 15:45 today.

Last edited:
Unwanted resets are an unfortunate occasional fact of life with the Humax,

While inconvenient they are not a symptom of other problems

way back when I first got the box sometime in the noughties
Wow. You have been lucky then. They seem to do it unpredictably every year or two, and from my experience you get a couple of instances not far (weeks/months) apart and then it's fine for a year or few.

It's an opportunity to check you have everything set up as you like :)

Wow. You have been lucky then. They seem to do it unpredictably every year or two, and from my experience you get a couple of instances not far (weeks/months) apart and then it's fine for a year or few.

It's genuinely the first time mine has done it. That's probably why it never occurred to me to search the forum before posting - I thought it was an extremely unusual thing to happen.

I shall consider myself having been extremely fortunate to date - and reassured for the future!

I got myself in a bit of fankle with the re-tune, having forgotten that it does two passes, one for DVB-T and a second one for DVB-T2. I did think for a frantic moment that the HD functionality had 'broken' somehow, since nothing was being found on our local HD mux - which just happens to be the lowest-numbered channel in our group. Just goes to show how long it is since I've had to do anything like that...

You can make them less inconvenient:

Thanks 👍. I did check most of that list yesterday, I'll have another look at the CF backup/restore capabilities over and above the favourites & recording schedule (I do also have tunefix installed).

I think it was when I powered it up, I usually keep that one in stand-by. I don't think the wizard kicks in except at boot.

Back