Humax Stops Playing Video Stream and Custom Firmware Crashes

Private61

Hi,

When playing a streamed video from a DNLA server the Humax stops playing. Sometime you can restart the video but it will stop again soon after, other times it will not play anything. Once this has happened, access to the Humax via a brower fails as if the custom firmware has crashed. Controlling the Humax via the handset works but the only way to gain access via the browser or play any streamed video from the server is to turn off the Humax using the switch at the back. This can happen with 10 to 20 minutes of the video playing or at other times an hour or so.

So has anyone come across this problem or can offer any advice?

Some basic details:
HDR Fox T2
Web interface version: 1.4.2-6
Custom firmware version: 3.10 (build 2734)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.10)

True but it not behaving like it has in the past with network issues, but it did start a little after I did a retune worked seems to have worked OK.

Manual settings 192.168.1.113 for the IP, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway and DNS 192.168.1.1 been working for a few years OK, the second Humax is the same but for the IP as 192.168.1.111.

Yes cat5e to the router, the media server is on a desktop also cat5e to the router. There is a NAS but the videos aren't stored on that.

Channels don't make a difference. The streamed video fails but, via the handset, I have full control over Humax and as such I can control the channels OK. Just can't watch streamed video or gain access to the Humax via the browser.

TVersity media server on a Desktop, been using this version for a few years and this hasn't happened before, only had a few minor issues which have been sorted easily and nothing recent.

Once this has happened, access to the Humax via a brower fails as if the custom firmware has crashed.
You'll need to access the command line interface using telnet or similar and get to a command prompt using the "cli" option from the menu.
Then issue the "service" command and see if the web server (lighttpd) has stopped running.

OK, I'll check tonight then again when it locks up, thanks.

Update

Checked if the service is running, which it is under normal use, but the video hasn't stopped tonight so still waiting to check.

Update 2

All been working, I haven't had another problem so far and can't reproduce it by playing a video where it happened before. So until it plays up again I stumped.

Last edited:
Well the system finally played up again a few moments ago. Sorry if the following is long winded.

First the video stopped playing reporting unsupported file format and on trying a different video it did the same. Tried Telnetting, couldn;t connect reporting network error, connection timed out. Tried to connect via the web interface and it timed out reporting this page can’t be displayed.

Waited a few minutes and repeated the above, video play no go, telnet no go and webif no go.

Went to the desktop with the media server on, refreshed the media library to check it's working and checked that the desktop was running OK, CPU just a few %, memory 37% which is slightly low to normal. All look well. Repeated attempt to play video after refresh, no go.

Changed on the Humax from Video to Music media which normally refreshes the available media library on the Humax, timed out in reading music library reporting no server found, went back to video same result no server. It didn't show the desktop media server or the other Humax server in available network area.

Looked at the router, the Humax (Humax02) can not be seen as connected to the network. Looked at other Humax (Humax01), router can see it, webif connects, telnet connects, plays the video, jumping closer to the failed point the video still plays OK. I know this doesn't test if it's a culmination problem but it was playing for about 48min before failure.

Finally re-booted Humax (Humax02) by using the on/off switch on the back of the box. Tried Webif OK, Telnet OK ran service command, lighttpd OK, compared running services to Humax01, all the same but for nfs, not running on Humax01 but running on the problem Humax02. Played failed video work find also jumped to just before failed point, still plays fine.

For myself I can only conclude network failure on the Humax, but wouldn't really no what I can do to fit it. I have changed the nfs to a stopped service on Humax02 to set both machines the same, but on Humax01 it does state not installed but I didn't remove nfs for now.

Any help appreciated.

Hi,

Little update, still don't really know what has been happening, but following the network related comment, thanks for the help. I've started to re-boot, via the webif, the Humax on a daily bases. It seems to have stopped the problem or it's a coincidence.

Thanks for all your comments.

Back