Humax TV Portal Connection.

HHGTTG

I have just upgraded my BT Broadband to 'Unlimited use' and so now feel I can play around with the above. However, what is the easiest and automatic way for it to connect to my BT Homehub. Can this be done from the Humax's 'Setting's menu and do I just ask it to connect? All my laptops, phones and tablets have been easy to connect as they just involved putting in the hub's security key but I see on the Humax that there is DHCP and a manual method etc.
Some guidance would be assuring and I don't want to compromise my Hub or Humax's setting by fiddling around and then having to reset or factory reset anything. If that is possible then I will leave well alone, the coward that I am.

The HDR-Fox T2 does not have built-in Wi-Fi so you would need to get a suitable USB Wi-Fi dongle if it is not possible to connect using a LAN cable, In addition to the manual / DHCP settings there is a Wi-Fi Configuration, but this will be 'greyed out' if there is no USB Wi-fi dongle present

Simple guide:

Either:
  1. Buy a compatible WiFi USB dongle and hope you find it connects - some have no problem, others have irresolvable problems, and the BT Home Hub is sometimes at the bottom of the problems; or
  2. Connect with an Ethernet cable and set the Humax to DHCP; or
  3. Buy a pair of HomePlugs (AV200 or AV500) which extend the Ethernet across your mains wiring and becomes an Ethernet connection at the Humax, configure by DHCP but then change it to Manual (avoids problems connecting at boot).
Option 2 is preferred (if at all possible).

The HDR-Fox T2 does not have built-in Wi-Fi so you would need to get a suitable USB Wi-Fi dongle if it is not possible to connect using a LAN cable, In addition to the manual / DHCP settings there is a Wi-Fi Configuration, but this will be 'greyed out' if there is no USB Wi-fi dongle present

Many thanks. I have ordered the one from your link from Play.com

The only other problem I can think of is that the Humax Wi-Fi settings only seems to allow for a Wireless password that contains aA-zZ and 0-9, no special characters or spaces, so some users have had to change their router Wi-Fi password to remove these 'special characters'

The only other problem I can think of is that the Humax Wi-Fi settings only seems to allow for a Wireless password that contains aA-zZ and 0-9, no special characters or spaces, so some users have had to change their router Wi-Fi password to remove these 'special characters'

My password is of the format x5x4xxxxx9 where 'x' are letter of the alphabet in lower case.

Well, that recommended WiFi dongle came today from Play.com with a mini CD disc containing drivers for the PC. When I inserted the dongle into my Humax it glowed blue and that's about all. I went in to the set-up but the WiFi connection was greyed out so didn't know what to do next.
Personally, I would have thought that the Humax would need drivers to work but I don't know too much about these things, to be honest.
The dongle was a mini one** and from the description on Play.com was supposed to come with an attachable antenna in case it was needed but there was nothing like that.

**In fact the dongle had no identification on it or the user's instructions. Nothing said it was a Trixies branded one and did not resemble the one showed in Play.com

Personally, I would have thought that the Humax would need drivers to work but I don't know too much about these things, to be honest.
The point is that the Humax has drivers for one type of dongle. However any dongle using the same chipset will also work. Hence only very specific makes and models of dongle will work. It sounds as though the dongle you have been supplied with is not suitable.

The dongle does need a driver. This is preloaded on the system and is configured to work with dongles based on the Ralink 3070 chipset: a different chipset (there are a lot of different ones) and it won't work. The Play.com link specifically claims to use the correct chipset: www.play.com/stores/Digiflex/listing/693345399 but it sounds like they have sent you the wrong one. I would send it back and ask for a refund. I had a similar problem with a different Play.com seller. I ordered a compatible Edimax dongle that was listed but they sent me a different model, which was a better spec. than the one advertised, but was useless for the Humax.

When I inserted the dongle into my Humax it glowed blue and that's about all. I went in to the set-up but the WiFi connection was greyed out so didn't know what to do next.
I refer you back to post 3. Once you do manage to source a suitable dongle, you still have to hope you don't get further problems. We know a cable works, and HomePlugs will work as long as your house is all wired on the same phase (which normally they are).

WiFi external adapters can also work better than a dongle but still rely on achieving a link to your router - however, they are also more flexible in terms of where it can be located and therefore easier to position for a good signal.

Well, I complained to Play.com's seller and they said that they were sorry that I had received a WiFi adapter not as described and are refunding my money and don't want the non-branded one back. So that was OK there.
I have now ordered a Tenda one also recommended as a possible contender, from Amazon and expect to get this by the weekend. If that isn't any good, well then sod it, as they say!

As long as you get the one in the picture HERE, I think you will be O.K., the customer reviews at the bottom of the page say :-

Yes, that is exactly the one I ordered. When I followed the link it had my name on the page, having ordered that model of adaptor.
Let's keep fingers crossed.

Back