[humidify] HDF file utility

Can you give some insight into the contents of the flash memory? I see something that looks like filenames but not much more that is usefull. A second stage bootloader and some compressed flash filesystem?

Offset 1a00000 is /var/lib/humaxtv_backup which contains supporting files for the Sky Player. It's a JFFS2 filesystem. The second file in the HDF @1e00000 is the kernel and the first is the root filesystem.

Nothing else in the third part than the humaxtv_backup? Like a second-stage bootloader...

xyz321: You seem to have compared it to the actual flash contents. Did you find something else in the flash?

What I'm looking for is the humax code that unpacks a hdf to be able to reverse engineer the decompression that isn't lh5...

My guess is that even if the humaxtv app can download an hdf from OTA or load it from an USB, the actual application of it has to be done by the bootloader. Or?

Nothing else in the third part than the humaxtv_backup? Like a second-stage bootloader...

No, the CFE bootloader is at address 1c20000 and hasn't been in an update for the HDR yet (although it is present as a section in the most recent HD model firmware since they had to chop and change the partitioning)

Are you talking about SquashFS ? That's what is used to compress the Humax filesystem.
http://squashfs.sourceforge.net/
No. I'm talking about getting the squashfs filesystem out of the HDF file. I have a HDF file recovered from OTA in sweden. The HDF file itself seems to be correct but it uses some form of compression for compressed datablocks that differ from the HDF files available directly from humax. (We have another version of the HDR-FOX T2 in sweden called BXR-HD+)
But the code to correctly parse the HDF files must be in the humax software somewhere.

xyz321: You seem to have compared it to the actual flash contents. Did you find something else in the flash?
No I just compared (a previously made copy of) /dev/mtdblock2 with the extracted file.

Note: If anyone tries this now, they may notice some differences because the mod creates a /mod directory within that partition.

Sorry, Humax appear to have changed the file on that link to a standard firmware hdf.
Try this one instead. (It's a rar archive but this site wouldn't let me upload it so I renamed it as a zip)

Attachments

• FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade_U7_54.zip
    400.1 KB · Views: 21
Sorry, Humax appear to have changed the file on that link to a standard firmware hdf.
Try this one instead. (It's a rar archive but this site wouldn't let me upload it so I renamed it as a zip)
Thanks. But I decided to use the one from HD-FOX T2 that af123 pointed to.
It's always a little tricky to reverse engineer a boot loader. This one loads itself to ram, set up some virtual memory things and then branch right into that ram area. But I hope to have figured it out later this week so I can do a good reverse engineering of the hdf format and its compression methods.
BTW, the loader accepts a couple of different file names for hdf-files, not sure yet what the others are for.

No, the CFE bootloader is at address 1c20000 and hasn't been in an update for the HDR yet (although it is present as a section in the most recent HD model firmware since they had to chop and change the partitioning)
Is it possible to easily extract this from a HDR after it has booted and everything is up and running? Like a raw dump from a /dev/mtdblock device or similar...
The CFE bootloader for the HD model is different from the HDR model if I understand correctly...

I tried to extract a HDF for a Conax-Receiver CXHD-5100C www. primacom. de/download/pdf/1.00.23_cxhd_5100c.zip

First all went ok.

C:\humax>humidify -x 1.0.23.hdf
HDF Tool v1.0.2, by af123, 2011.

Opening 1.0.23.hdf, 22659925 bytes.

Blocks: 699
Model: 4
System ID: 805c.5d00

x 1.hdfbin-1-80100000.raw (262 bytes)
x 2.hdfbin-1-80100400.raw (1671483 bytes)
x 3.hdfbin-1-80300000.raw (262 bytes)
x 4.hdfbin-1-80300400.raw (20979430 bytes)

Processed in: 2.09s

But this two files x 2.hdfbin-1-80100400.raw (1671483 bytes) and x 4.hdfbin-1-80300400.raw (20979430 bytes) are HDFs, too (0x0012) at the beginning.

When I try to extract these, too, this works, but with a lot of zeros in it.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

This file is a Humax file. The download is just provided by the cable provider who sells the receiver to its customers.

It's a cable receiver (DVB-C) with embedded Conax CAS and CI+ slot.

I tried to extract a HDF for a Conax-Receiver . . Any suggestions how to solve this?

I think you need to hear from somebody who know what he is talking about e.g. the person who wrote the humidify package af123, hopefully he will be along soon

When I try to extract these, too, this works, but with a lot of zeros in it.

Any suggestions how to solve this?

The sections containing zeros are ones which have failed to decompress. The files must use a different compression algorithm which is not supported by humidify.

Back