Humming Hummy...

Pablo Pablo

Hi all
I've just bought a new HDR-2000T to replace an Hdr-fox that developed dementia. Slight problem with it - it hums. It's installed on a glass stand, and it appears that the hard disc isn't very well mechanically isolated, and it vibrates the casing a little, and the glass shelf joins in. The hum fades in and out but it's always audible - I actually thought the HDR was somehow inducing a low level hum from my sub.

I've tried adding sticky feet to isolate the system with a little success but the hum remains. Pointy feet might help. However, before I take it back, is this something they all do?

I only bought it because it was on clearance in John Lewis (£139 for 1TB model). If it goes back I'll order another HDR Fox manager special from Humax Direct.

Mechanical hum of that nature often boils down to the mains transformer, and there is no harm in seeking replacement because of it. If the replacement does the same, you might reasonably conclude they are all similar (or at least be from a bad batch). Other owners may not be so sensitive to it, so it is hard to get an informed opinion by polling.

Thanks Black Hole. I hadn't considered the transformer as the source - I can feel a mechanical vibration on the top of the case, so put it down to the disc. The power supply on the 2000 is stepped down to 12v, I think. Can't open the case without invalidating the warranty of course.

I've ordered some compliant sticky feet that will fit under the built-in ones and will hopefully cure the hum.

And I bet it's a SMPSU with no mains transformer:)
I used some of the compliant feet from HERE which fixed my HDD vibration from resonating my cabinet. Get the right ones for the weight of your device. The feel very soft, but really work a treat.

Maybe, but since the hum starts the moment the HDR starts, it's less likely. No custom firmware, of course (darnit...), so I can't monitor the fan or temps.

FWIW, the vibration as felt on the top of the case seems pretty constant across its area, can't tell if it originates on the left or right side.

Last edited:
I get a hum from one of my Topfield PVR's, this is HDD related. I have just grown to live with it.

I picked the soft ones. Here's hoping.
They're the ones. I hope you won't be disappointed. I wasn't. Most impressed. Got them under my computer as well. That used to resonate the shelf that it stood on, but doesn't now.

It has an external 12v power supply, so the hum is almost certainly HDD related.
Fair enough! I have quietened a fair few items of various equipment in my time by ensuring a transformer is adequately clamped, or sometimes replaced if the laminations are loose, but I forgot such things don't apply to modern kit.

The same applies though: how can the OP tell whether his particular unit is normal unless he gets it swapped?

They're the ones. I hope you won't be disappointed. I wasn't. Most impressed. Got them under my computer as well. That used to resonate the shelf that it stood on, but doesn't now.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back when the isolating feet arrive.

Acoustifeet arrived today. Fitted them on top of (or under, IYSWIM) the original rubber feet. Not a perfect fit, but pretty close, and... blissful, hum free silence.

Thanks for the recommend, I'll buy more of these, very effective.

Back