Hummy HDR slowly dying?

sportq

I've noticed a number of problems with my Humax HDR Fox T2.

The worst is that the remote has become very unresponsive, a common problem is seems. I'm using a Logitech Harmony Touch but the original remote with fresh batteries is exactly the same. It needs to be in line-of-sight of the IR detector to work at all and only a few inches from the front to be reliable.

The ethernet port is also not working. I have a static IP address assigned but even with DHCP it fails to receive an address. I've scanned the statically configured IP address with nmap on a Linux box and there are no open ports.

So far I've tried updating the firmware to the latest (HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.03.zip - 03/03/2015) with a USB stick but the result is the same.

I've also noticed that on some channels (thankfully not the common ones) it will fall into a reboot loop.

Is it slowly dying on me? Are there any issues with bad caps? It feels like that kind of problem.

Any help offered is appreciated.
Pete

If the box is generally working except for what you have noted above, I doubt it is a PSU problem (where bad capacitors would be located).

Does the PVR button light up on the remote control handset when you press buttons? It should, and if it isn't then the handset is not transmitting. There are instructions on the wiki for opening and cleaning it HERE (click). Otherwise it sounds like you need a new IR receiver module (or replace the whole front panel assembly). There was a recent discussion about that HERE (click). Note also the links in that topic relevant to your reboot loop.

The Ethernet issue could be lots of things, including your router.

Yes, the PVR light on the original remote illuminates when buttons are pressed.

Thanks for the pointer to that discussion, reading it now.

Any idea about the ethernet? That's why I thought it might be a general problem, both seemed to start at the same time.

Pete

The worst is that the remote has become very unresponsive, a common problem is seems.
I am not convinced it is a common problem but it is certainly reported from time to time. If Black Hole's suggestions doesn't help then the most likely problem is a fault on the front panel circuit board; you could either look for a second hand one or Humax have in the past supplied new ones for about £30.

The ethernet port is also not working. I have a static IP address assigned but even with DHCP it fails to receive an address. I've scanned the statically configured IP address with nmap on a Linux box and there are no open ports.
How is the Humax connected to the rest of the network (cable, Homeplugs, WiFi bridge)? How have you tested the connection ? Faults with the network port are rare.

The Humax is connected to an 8 port gigabit switch. Everything else connected to the switch (TV, Amp, Bluray, Raspberry Pi) is working perfectly. The switch is hardwired back to the main broadband router.

Pete

Have you tried rebooting the router? It is not unknown for these to be the cause of problems.

Back