Hummy Meltdown

J

jonnyalpha

Hummy Meltdown

Hi guys. I was heading to the old hummy.org to try and get some advice and found out it's all disappeared. I hope somebody here can help.

A few days ago our old upstairs 9200 starting behaving extremely badly. All the recorded items have disappeared from the recordings list and new recordings will not stay in the list for long. The HDD status shows 40+gig is used so I'm guessing the files are still there but simply not showing up. I'm going to connect the machine to my pc later to see if I can see the files and possibly extract the ones we want to keep.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of problem? Is the HDD dying? Is the machine on it's way out? Any ideas? I've done all the usual power down, rescan etc and it makes no difference. I may be looking for a new machine before long. :(

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Hummy Meltdown

jonnyalpha said:
I'm going to connect the machine to my pc later to see if I can see the files and possibly extract the ones we want to keep.
This is a common problem. The file system is corrupt. If you want to extract recordings then use humaxrw in recovery mode http://humaxdisk.wikispaces.com/HumaxRW. Then format the disk in the PC and run chkdsk. If chkdsk reports no bad sectors then the drive is probably OK; replace it in the Humax which will offer to format it when it boots. You could put recordings back onto the disk using humaxrw. If there are bad sectors then the disk needs replacing.

Thanks for that. So it would seem sensible to take the opportunity to upgrade the old HDD and put in a larger one. ATA and UATA HDDs are harder to find these days can anyone recommend one that would be compatible and still available?

I am looking online and it seems that Seagate drives are the most likely but I'm unsure as to compatibility issues.

jonnyalpha said:
Thanks for that. So it would seem sensible to take the opportunity to upgrade the old HDD and put in a larger one.
The safest choice is a Seagate DB35 series ACE drive (not SCE which are the SATA ones). I have had a terrible time recently with commercial suppliers claiming they had new items available and then sending non functioning drives that appear to be refurbished rather than new. In the end I resorted to Ebay and got an effectively new 160GB drive for £27 including postage; currently there are lots of 160GB drives and at least one 250GB drive. Be very wary of anything decsribed as reconditioned or refurbished. Frankly I would still advise testing your existing drive as it may well be OK; file system corruption can be caused by many things and is not necessarily a sign that the drive is failing.

Back