Hummy overheats with latest firmware

Dave Ell

I have installed 1.03.12 (downloaded from the Humax link posted recently) with 1.03.12 mod 3.00 CF.
Previously the firmware was 1.02.32 with 1.02.32 mod 2.23 CF.
In both cases I set the Fan setting to 45 and, with the older firmware, the case remained cool to the touch whereas with the newer firmware it is pretty warm.
The difference is very marked in the sysmon capture below.
Anyone have any ideas why this is so?
Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• sysmon 21-09-2014 14-33-53.jpg
    sysmon 21-09-2014 14-33-53.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 19
I have been running 1.03.12 cf 3.00 since it was released, and am using a fan setting of 50. I have not noticed any change in the box operating temperature, and the highest temperature recorded in the last 5 days is 45 Degrees.

I have installed 1.03.12 (downloaded from the Humax link posted recently) with 1.03.12 mod 3.00 CF.
Previously the firmware was 1.02.32 with 1.02.32 mod 2.23 CF.
In both cases I set the Fan setting to 45 and, with the older firmware, the case remained cool to the touch whereas with the newer firmware it is pretty warm.
The difference is very marked in the sysmon capture below.
It might be worth running the fix-flash-packages diagnostic. Or just uninstall and reinstall the fan package.

Agreed, the graphs for the 20th. and 21st. show the fan is turning on in the default Humax mode i.e. it is not being controlled by the 'Fan' CFW package or the 'Fan' % setting is way too low

I don't know whether is is still an issue, but I have experienced the fan package just stopping working.

Thanks all

I ran the fix-flash-packages and later uninstalled and reinstalled the fan package.

No change.

I think that I will reinstall previous version of firmware. Would there be any problem with that?

Dave

May be a silly question but, have you verified that the fan is actually working.
It would be a coincidence but it may have failed.
I think Black Hole recommends placing a piece of paper over the fan vent to see if it gets blown away.

I thought it was working - I could feel hot air blowing on by hand.

However, I seem to have fixed the problem by changing the fan setting from 45% to 50%. I've attached a screen shot.

That seems a very small change to cause such a big difference.

Attachments

• sysmon 21-09-2014 21-14-18.jpg
    sysmon 21-09-2014 21-14-18.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 20
Until you changed the setting to 50%, the profile looks like the standard fan operation you get with regular firmware. My guess is that the fan speed was erroneously set to zero in the settings file or the correct value was not being passed to the package. The change you made restored correct operation. I'd wager that if you set the fan value back to 45%, it would get a little warmer but it would stabilise to a flat plateau and not revert to its previous behaviour.

I think there have been previous reports of the Fan settings displaying a different value to the one actually being used

I have been fiddling with the fan setting, switching it off and removing fan and restoring it. Last thing I did was set it to 44%, which is what the attached chart is showing.

There seems to be no logic to it.

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
That is odd, it seems to have reverted to standard behaviour again. With the fan package, the fan should be on all the time, albeit at a slower speed than normal. Does the fan run constantly? Is the unit in a cabinet? Either the fan package settings are not being applied or the 44% speed is not sufficient to keep the unit cool enough to stop the standard cooling routine from happening. I would go back to 50%, then once it is stable I would go down to 44% in 2% steps and see what happens.

The fan package is stored in flash memory so it would be worth trying a factory reset. Back up your recording schedule in Web-If and uninstall the fan package. Then select the reset option (without a disk format). You will go back to the installation wizard and will have to retune etc. Then when you are done reinstall the fan package. It should only take ten minutes or so.

I'm scratching my head here. I have had problems with the fan package not working after a crash, but running 'fix-flash-packages' has always fixed it for me, to date. In Web-If>Diagnostics>File Editor, open the file 'mod/boot/fanspeed'. For 45% the value should be about 115 or 116. If it is not, edit the file and save. I can't think of anything else.

Edit: path corrected

Last edited:
Back