Hummy started to crash this morning

I don't know if I did. If I was aware of the facility at the time then I think I would have done. If only the damn box would stay up long enough for me to try it out :)

Even if the box only stays on for a couple of minutes, if you can still connect to the network by WiFi or ethernet, you could try reconnecting the hard drive and then use Web-If>Browse Media Files to see if your recordings have the green 'Dec' item after the titles. If they do they are decrypted and you could then connect the drive to a PC with a USB caddy and copy them off. Of course, if you get a caddy you could just connect the drive to the PC and see if the TS files will play with VLC player, for example. If you are using a Windows PC, you will need to install a programme (e.g. Ext2fsd) to allow you to access the Linux partitions.

Thanks MontysEvilTwin (and others). I just tried to switch the box on and it started to count down from 59 and flicked the wait on the front panel but then goes to standby after approx. 10 seconds. This gets worse. Anyone know why it does that?
The only connections to the box are power and my wi-fi dongle. Can't use the Ethernet cable at the back as there was an issue with socket earlier this year.

Oh well, I think it is on its last legs. The USB caddies aren't too expensive. If you think it is worth it you could get one to see if there are any recordings that can be saved.

Thanks MontysEvilTwin (and others). I just tried to switch the box on and it started to count down from 59 and flicked the wait on the front panel but then goes to standby after approx. 10 seconds. This gets worse. Anyone know why it does that?
Have you tried flashing with standard firmware and doing a factory reset?
The only connections to the box are power and my wi-fi dongle. Can't use the Ethernet cable at the back as there was an issue with socket earlier this year.
Take the wireless dongle out and try it. What 'issue' with the socket happened that you aren't telling us? Is the hardware physically damaged? How? If you've got the lid off, you can check for bulging capacitors and anything else that looks suspect.

Right.. I guess that's it then. VLC hangs when I try to open a recording from the HDD :cry:
One final question and then i'll let it go.... if I got a second hand T2 and put this HDD in it would the files still be encrypted or would the second hand box adopt it as it's own and allow to copy to an external HDD via USB (and therefore decrypt)?

You recordings are encrypted and the 'key' is unique to the box they have been recorded on. Unless they are decrypted, they will not play on any other machine.

You recordings are encrypted and the 'key' is unique to the box they have been recorded on. Unless they are decrypted, they will not play on any other machine.
Thought so but needed to ask.
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice over the last 24 hours. I'm off to pour myself a very large V&T and sob a little.

@stevieboy: if the fault is in the main board, it is probably not easy to fix. If it is due to the power supply the box can be fixed. Humax will supply spares if they have stock. Do you know anyone who can test the PSU without charging an arm or a leg? It is not difficult to do if you have the right tools: an electronics enthusiast or TV repair man could do it. If you have the case open (with the unit unplugged) you could look for obvious signs of trouble like bulging capacitors: these are quite straightforward to replace if you have experience with a soldering iron.

Edit: prpr already mentioned checking the capacitors in post#26.

Last edited:
Have you any good mates with a T2 who may be willing to do a temp swap of the PSU unit just to get it going and know if you can buy a new PSU from Humax.
Good Luck

At the risk of sounding like a numpty.... the PSU is the board on the left of the box as you look at it correct? Where the power cable comes in. I just need to be sure before I carry on.
I don't suppose the one on a 9200T would be the same would it? Is there a how-to video somewhere that show how to change it?
If it is a problem with the PSU how would the unit start in the first place? I've checked connections and re-seated all the ones that can be btw.
No mates with a hummy. They are either Virgin media bods or Sky freaks (only joking).

If you were buying a replacement unit, would you go for another HDR Fox T2 or a HDR-2000T?
No custom firmware on the latter is my understanding.

Right.. I guess that's it then. VLC hangs when I try to open a recording from the HDD :cry:
How are you trying that? The internal HDD is formatted Ext3 - which Windows will need help with.

One final question and then i'll let it go.... if I got a second hand T2 and put this HDD in it would the files still be encrypted or would the second hand box adopt it as it's own and allow to copy to an external HDD via USB (and therefore decrypt)?
The encryption is unique to each individual box. You didn't read my link, did you!

the PSU is the board on the left of the box as you look at it correct? Where the power cable comes in.
Correct. Just look for blown components, particularly bulging capacitors. If it looks OK, it might still be on the blink: you would need someone with a voltage meter who knew what they were doing to be sure.

How are you trying that? The internal HDD is formatted Ext3 - which Windows will need help with.

I installed Ext2fsd, opened up the HDD and assigned a drive letter. When i could see the HDD in windows explorer i navigated to the videos folder and tried a) opening a .ts file from there with VLC and Media Player - both hung, b) copied the .ts over to my laptop and tried to open again in VLC and Media Player - both hung.
Is there some other way I should be doing it?

I don't think anyone answered the Q re whether the PSU in the 9200 could be used in the T2 for a test. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

i don't see anything that looks blown but I'm no expert

Attachments

• 20140902_105337.jpg
    20140902_105337.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20140902_105346.jpg
    20140902_105346.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 18
From that angle, I can't either. But failed/failing caps don't always show visual signs of failure. But this is all a mute point. The PSU might be functioning properly and the fault could be another component.

If you buy another HDR T2, you could always use that to fault by substitution! That carries risks.

Last edited:
Back