Hummy won't fully shut down

cirens

Hi,
I recently had some a lot of blocking in my recordings. Whilst I did not have the "fan" package installed. I assumed it (correctly) to be an overheating hard drive.
I swapped the 500GB factory HDD for a 1TB Wetern Digiatl Purple drive. The purple drive's are WD's ideal for CCTV systems. This seemed like a good match.
I transferred my successful recording across, and took the opportunity to update the firmware.

My hummy no longer shuts down fully. There is no "click". Many feature are not working such as Poweron Channel and Detect Ads (which I didn't previously have!)... UNLESSS I switch off the unit at the back for a full powerdown. Then these features seem to work on the first occasion but not after that. I can use the remote (or front button) to go to standby but on powering up again poweron channel has not worked and, as I say, nor has detect ads. I can feel that with a remote operated standby (or even front button) the disk is still spinning inside.

I have just tried complete removal of the CF, a system flush, reinstalled the Humax firmware, and then reinstalled the CF on top. Connected by hard wire to my router, I have installed the basic webIF and downloaded the FULL webIF but needed to turn the box off by the switch at the back to invoke the full webif.

Incidentally I tried the Tenda W311U+ yesterday and it was not recognised by the box. (The "wireless" menu choice remained greyed ou). It seems the chipset is now Realtech RTL8129EU if I read that correctly via my computer settings.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks Black Hole,
The Disk Diagnostics show the temperature to be 54 degrees. I have set the fan to always be at a minimum of 30%. But I still don't see why the unit will not close down.
I have read about the states the unit might be in but AFAIK the unit is not attempting any process. It just won't click off automatically.

It won't go to sleep if any of the problems mentioned are present. Did you read the section about "delinquent half-awake"? You probably have a faulty recording on the disk.

The purple drive's are WD's ideal for CCTV systems.
They're ideal for motion-activated, RAID array, CCTV systems but not a good match for a PVR. However, a number of people on here are running WD Purple drives without any reported problems.

Did you read the section about "delinquent half-awake"?
No, I can't locate that phrase with a search either

You probably have a faulty recording on the disk.
How would I locate such a faulty recording?

It won't go to sleep if any of the problems mentioned are present.
I have just turned the unit off (back switch) for a few minutes and then back on again, the temperature was the only warning.

I have since been to Web-If >> Diagnostics and ran debugtv
nut this just completed and did NOT create a humaxtv.log file

The unit has not clicked but Redring informs me it is in standby. The fan is still blowing and it feels like the HDD is still spinning.
Furthermore the WebIF is still running (which I didn't think it did with the unit shut down).

Starting it up again produced no warnings... the disk diagnostics tell me it is down to 38 degrees

They're ideal for motion-activated, RAID array, CCTV systems but not a good match for a PVR. However, a number of people on here are running WD Purple drives without any reported problems.
Thanks. Information about hard drives seems to be scattered about. I discovered
https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/2TB_Disk_Installation_Blog which mentions

"Several users have reported that the Humax running 1.03.xx firmware is capable of formatting and 4K aligning a new 2TB hard drive, This Blog was written prior to the release of the 1.03.xx firmware"

It would be great to switch to a 2TB drive so is there currently a list of recommended drives where the Hummy can handle the new drive with minimum fuss?

I have since been to Web-If >> Diagnostics and ran debugtv
nut this just completed and did NOT create a humaxtv.log file
That's the right thing to try. The log file will only be created the next time the unit boots up, so you'll need to reboot from the web interface or turn it off and on again (the reboot is better for the disk).
The unit has not clicked but Redring informs me it is in standby. The fan is still blowing and it feels like the HDD is still spinning.
Furthermore the WebIF is still running (which I didn't think it did with the unit shut down).
Right - the web interface won't be there if it has really shut down.

Black Hole has pointed you at a couple of resources but to be specific, here are the things you should try first:
  1. Make sure you haven't set up any auto power-on or power-off timers through the system menus;
  2. Run a disk check from maintenance mode;
  3. Turn content sharing off and see if it still behaves this way;
  4. Enable safe mode (diagnostics screen), restart through diagnostics/reboot and see if it still behaves this way.
If none of these steps help then it is quite likely a faulty recording somewhere on the disk. These can be tricky to find but the humaxtv.log file contents when it's trying to shut down can help.

Thanks. Information about hard drives seems to be scattered about....It would be great to switch to a 2TB drive so is there currently a list of recommended drives where the Hummy can handle the new drive with minimum fuss?

See https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/best-hdd-from-amazon.7582/#post-103094

for my recommendations. All of them are easy enough to set up. The 1TB and 2TB can be formatted through the standard Humax menus. The 3 or 4TB require formatting through the telnet menu but it's straightforward enough.

Thanks for sticking with me af123

Having tried some things in the interim...
Following your reply I checked the Diagnostics page again and there WAS now a huaxtv.log file. But it was rather long.
I saved it. Cleared it. Ran debugtv again. And tried to reboot from the WebIf.
I lost the web page.
I went to the room the Humax is in to find it shut down. No front ring lit, no fan blowing and no disk spinning.
I rebooted from the remote and now have a new log file which is also quite long....

What would be the relevant bits to post here (if you don't mind, please, looking over it) or can I just upload the whole file?

A second reboot via WebIF was successful.

This time a shorter log file was produced and things that stand out to me are…

100 Domain :.humaxtvportal.com

99 ########################################

98 [AP_BrowserManager_Proc:608] [AP_BrowserNetTime_startNetTimeTask:171] [AP_BrowserNetTime_startNetTimeTask:208] [AP_BrowserManager_Proc:733] [RR]: Switched to persistent log file.

97 [DI_MEDIA_MP_GetStreamInfo] Error - Invalid Media Id.

96 [P_MEDIA_CheckValidMediaId] Invalid Media ID.

95 [scanFonts:448] [scanFonts:448] [scanFonts:448] DRV_DSC_Init_Begin

94 [RR] Sat Dec 31 16:26:43 2016: [ HD = ON ]

54 adding dns 192.168.1.254

53 route: SIOCDELRT: No such process

52 deleting routers

Of course the unit did not shut down during this process, it was just a reboot.

No, I can't locate that phrase with a search either
Why would you need to search? I gave you the following reference:

You can divide and conquer to narrow down the faulty recording, by using the command line to move whole sections of the file system under My Video somewhere else (create a new folder along side My Video - the moves are quick, and with the recordings not in My Video they do not affect the Humax housekeeping).

Why would you need to search? I gave you the following reference:
Sorry, my fault. I don't know what happened. Yes that is packed with lots of very helpful information.

You can divide and conquer to narrow down the faulty recording, by using the command line to move whole sections of the file system under My Video somewhere else (create a new folder along side My Video - the moves are quick, and with the recordings not in My Video they do not affect the Humax housekeeping).
Aha, I understand the technique. And it can still be a subfolder of "Media"?
I tried using the webIF to create a folder at a higher directory level (i.e. alongside the likes of bin, dev, home) but this did not happen.
I am unable to move the files using the WebIf. I just get duplicated file/folder names but they have no filesize.
I am unable to transfer the files between directories using my Windows Explorer interface as it says there is not enough room to move them.
So what is the "command line" you are referring to? A telnet connection?

Thank you for your help (and patience).

The other things I suggested are easier to try before starting to move files around or looking through log files.

The other things I suggested are easier to try before starting to move files around or looking through log files.
Thanks,
1. There were no power timing conflicts I could find.
3. Content sharing was already (at that point) turned up
2. I'm planning to run a disk check from maintenance mode when there are a few hours spare it's not needed.
4. Ditto a safe mode.

Also, following your advice, I will upgrade again to the 2TB Seagate. However if it is a corrupt media file then I need to remove that before copying across the contents of the hard drive.

Great help and advice. Thank you.

So what is the "command line" you are referring to? A telnet connection.
Of course Telnet. Or install webshell and use the Command Line terminal emulation from WebIF >> Diagnostics. Try AF's recommendations first, but I've cured delinquent half-awake my way.

I'm trying to resolve a delinquent half-awake mode at the moment but struggling with the process of moving files out of the 'media/My Video' folder to say 'media/My Video2' (assuming this is an acceptable folder that the Humax system won't look in). I've tried in the webif telnet window the mv command but I'm not sure I've using it right as it gave me ' write error: No space left on device '. It does create the folder but doesn't move the files.

Code:
humax# ls                                                                 
bin    dev    etc    home   lib    media  mnt    mod    opt    proc   root
humax# cd media                                                           
humax# ls                                                                 
My Music   My Photo   My Video   My Video2  drive1
humax# ls -l                                                             
drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root            40 Sep 15 23:47 Asus
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            17 Sep 15 15:36 My Music -> /mnt/hd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            17 Sep 15 15:36 My Photo -> /mnt/hd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            17 Sep 15 15:36 My Video -> /mnt/hd
drwxr-xr-x   28 root     root           560 Sep 15 23:17 My Video2
drwxrwxrwx    3 root     root          4096 Sep 15 21:56 drive1[
humax#
humax# mv "My Video/2a Films (PG 12)" "My Video2/2a Films (PG 12)"

1600207110988.png
In the webif telnet window
1600213641349.png

I then tried Winscp and tried the 'Move to' command but this said 'no such file or directory'

As a test I was trying to move just one file:
/mnt/hd2/My Video/2a Films (PG 12)/Percy Jackson_ Sea of Monsters_20190829_1457-1598208908.hmt
to:
/mnt/hd2/My Video2/2a Films (PG 12)/Percy Jackson_ Sea of Monsters_20190829_1457-1598208908.hmt
1600213444730.png

Please could I have some help with some examples of the mv command to get it working.

Perhaps it's just some simple syntax I've got wrong.

Thanks

Rodp

Please could I have some help with some examples of the mv command to get it working.
Maybe you're moving files into directory/partition without write access or limited space. Eg You can check withdf 'dirname'
But you're probably better off creating a new directory and moving into that instead eg mkdir /mnt/hd2/newdir etc

Last edited:
This suggests not:
1600213641349.png
A syntax error would give a different error message. What needs to be resolved is why it thinks there is not enough space, which it might if it were creating a new copy on a different file system rather than moving files within a file system.

Try going down the /mnt path instead of the /media path. You will see there is a difference if you compare
ls /media with ls /mnt/hd2 - /media is a construct rather than an actual directory, and I think it contains symbolic links and cannot have a directory created in it. My experiments also indicate it is necessary to create the target directory first:
Code:
HDRFOX1# cd /mnt/hd2

HDRFOX1# ls "My Video/[test\]/                                                                 
BBC Points West_20161113_1808.hmt  BBC Points West_20161113_1808.thm                           
BBC Points West_20161113_1808.nts  BBC Points West_20161113_1808.ts                            

HDRFOX1# mv My\ Video/[test\]/BBC\ Points\ West_20161113_1808.* My\ Video2                     
mv: can't rename 'My Video/[test]/BBC Points West_20161113_1808.hmt': No such file or directory
mv: can't rename 'My Video/[test]/BBC Points West_20161113_1808.nts': No such file or directory
mv: can't rename 'My Video/[test]/BBC Points West_20161113_1808.thm': No such file or directory
mv: can't rename 'My Video/[test]/BBC Points West_20161113_1808.ts': No such file or directory 

HDRFOX1# mkdir My\ Video2                                                                      

HDRFOX1# ls                                                                                    
My Music/     My Video/     Tsr/          lost+found/   thumbnail/                             
My Photo/     My Video2/    dms_cds.db    mod/          virtual_disk/                          

HDRFOX1# mv My\ Video/[test\]/BBC\ Points\ West_20161113_1808.* My\ Video2                     

HDRFOX1# ls My\ Video2                                                                         
BBC Points West_20161113_1808.hmt  BBC Points West_20161113_1808.thm                           
BBC Points West_20161113_1808.nts  BBC Points West_20161113_1808.ts                            

HDRFOX1#

Last edited:
Thanks - working from mnt/hd2 path sorted it out

so I navigated to mnt/hd2 using the
Code:
cd
command
and made a folder called My Video2 and then did:
Code:
mv "My Video/2a Films (PG 12)/" "My Video2/2a Films (PG 12)/"

Which then moved the whole folder

Wish this could be done in Webif or via WinSCP - would be much easier.

Anyhow and should be able to move the folders about out of the My Video folder now and find out what is stopping it shut down.

Thanks

Rodp

Back