Hummy won't fully shut down

Update: WinSCP does work now - I must have been using the Media path rather than the mnt/hd2 path. So all is good! :)

I had a major issue when I tried to use %codes in a Sweeper rule, what I believed would happen and what ended up happening meant the swept files ended up disappearing, so I thought, what had happened, the files had been swept away to the location in the rule

After a bit of head-scratching, and looking at the log file entries, the actual location was some obscure path location

To resolve the issue, I used an FTP program called SolarPuTTY, (there are other FTP programs available), I was then able to click and drag a folder from where the files were located to a folder within the "My Video" path, was then able to sort them using the Webif page

I now run [ Maintenance Mode ] and [ Fixdisk ] each Saturday, there was one run which repeatedly reported a selection of files which had errors, it turned out these files were in the "lost+found", once these files had been deleted, my Humax HDR Fox T2 started performing as it should

[ These are my own findings and the solutions used worked in my situation ]

I thought you had to add " at each end of a filename if there are spaces in the path
That depends. If you look at the syntax of my command lines, you will see each "special" character is escaped with a prefix "\", which signals the command interpreter to treat the subsequent character literally instead of interpreting it as usual (eg " " = <string_delimiter>, but "\ " = <space>). My test directory name includes "]", which also has to be escaped.

Enclosing in " or ' is an alternative to escaping special characters, and no one method is always guaranteed to work according to the exact circumstances. There are sometimes several layers of interpretation and parameter passing, and then it might be necessary to have multiple modifiers (with one level getting stripped off at each interpretation layer). "..." won't work, for example, if the string contains ".

Last edited:
Update: WinSCP does work now - I must have been using the Media path rather than the mnt/hd2 path. So all is good! :)
Yes, I have no problem using a Windows file manager via SMB... so long as you respect the vagaries of the non-Windows file system.

That depends. If you look at the syntax of my command lines, you will see each "special" character is escaped with a prefix "\", which signals the command interpreter to treat the subsequent character literally instead of interpreting it as usual (eg " " = end-of-string). My test command includes "]" which also has to be escaped.
I find it a bit odd that the "[" appears not to need escaping.

Code:
HDRFOX1# cd /mnt/hd2
HDRFOX1# ls "My Video/[test\]/
There must be a missing final " there.

Inside "", the shell is not looking for pathname expansions using *, ? and []; otherwise it would see [test] as a poorly formed attempt to match any of the characters t, e, s. The \] is offered because the shell has found the [test] entry in "My Video" , and the \] shows that the [] expression is being used verbatim.

Last edited:
Hmm. Something went wrong there! I can see there is that mistake in my original terminal session:
Code:
HDRFOX1# ls "My Video/[test\]/
I've had a play and I can't make it work without a closing ", so I can only think I made a hash of copy&paste from my webshell session (which, in all fairness, is quite tricky within iOS).

@Andrea Edwards: sorry, I didn't spot what you meant and hadn't realised I had mixed my syntaxes. It would have been easier if you hadn't eliminated the line breaks. It seems it need not matter if a trailing " is omitted, but what I was saying about escaping rather than quoting stands.

Last edited:
/media is a construct rather than an actual directory
No it's not. It's a perfectly good directory, just in a tmpfs filesystem in RAM, rather than on disk (and is limited on the Humax to 64MB, which is why you can't create big files there).
This proves that most people don't understand Linux filesystems and mount points.
I'm surprised /df didn't mention this :) , but have a look at the output of df -h

Thanks for the replies and advice. The moving of the files from a folder outside 'My Video' and then back in seems to have allowed it to shut down properly now, however I'll probably never know what it was that was causing it in the first place as the humaxtv.log file didn't really give any clues.

@prpr if you have the time it would be great if you could create some sort of summary of the key things a user needs to know about the linux system on the Humax. I think that might help lots of people as there is obviously lots to learn and caveats to know about when doing command level stuff.

Thanks

Rodp

create some sort of summary of the key things a user needs to know about the linux system on the Humax
It's very difficult predicting what people need to know and what isn't obvious when assuming a sufficient level of understanding that the information is any use. This is what makes forums so valuable.

Back