Hypothesis

Which is why you can never win an argument with a Jahovah's Witness (although I have come close).
I think I won the argument against the pair who had the temerity to knock on my door one 25th December: "Don't you know its Christmas? F*** Off!". :D

The hypothesis about the axial orientation of the humax remote control in some cases is correct

Experiment: hang a humax from the ceiling with the display pointing downwards.

Test 1: Hold remote horizontally and press on
Result: No effect

Test 2: Hold remote vertically and press on
Result: Humax turns on

Conclusion: the axial orientation of the remote does affect reception and the original hypothesis is correct.

You have disregarded the word "axial" (along the long axis, ie rotating the IR emitter without altering its beam axis). Besides, I do not believe you have conducted this experiment to have made the observations; and even if you had, the experimental method is flawed because if you had conducted the same experiment with the remote held "vertically" for test 1 the result is likely to have been the same.

The Scientific Method involves not only postulating a hypothesis and then testing it by experiment, but also publishing the exact method of those experiments and the results for other independent researchers to criticise and verify.

I do not agree that "hypothesis" is synonymous with "conjecture".

I do not agree that "hypothesis" is synonymous with "conjecture".

It isn't a clear-cut distinction. See the Riemann Hypothesis, which is never called the Riemann Conjecture. See this:

http://cyberprodigy.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/what-is-difference-between-conjecture.html

A hypothesis doesn't need to explain anything. It can be self-sufficient, a statement of a conjectured fact that is plausible but not yet proven. The Continuum Hypothesis was long held to be true or false, but is now known to be neither. It is an independent Axiom, which you can accept or reject, without fear of contradiction.

For this test to be valid you also need to remove all the walls, the floor ... and the ceiling.

OK looks like I'll have to give up on scientific experiments. Wife let's me play with the hummy but has drawn the line at me removing the walls, floor and ceiling. In any case if I removed the ceiling what would I ang it from?

Black Hole was right I'd not interpreted Axial correctly think I was getting it confused with coaxial.

I've tried the zero trick and find it is not universally successful (just to get back to what started all this!).

Back