I Can't get files to copy to NTFS Drive

Edit: Just found the problem - the partition table entry type was set to Linux

Edit2: Now I can mount the drive, I can confirm that I can successfully write to the drive using the Humax UI with the ntfs-3g package.

Thanks xyz.

Where is the partition table setting? Secondly, please can you explain (slowly) How I can check and change mine? I have EaseUS Partition Manager and run XP.

I have never felt the need to use EaseUS partition manager, so can't help you there. Since your disk appears to mount successfully, I think it is unlikely that this would be your problem anyway.

What versions of the ntfs-3g and fuse packages are installed on your Humax?

So the next question is - why can you copy from an external Ext3 to an external NTFS and not me (unless you meant you could generally write to it, and not specifically the drive to drive copy)?

What versions of the ntfs-3g and fuse packages are installed on your Humax?

I am just 4 days in to the CF, so please be patient.

Fuse 2.7.6-1
nfsd-3g 2013.1.13-1
Both are the latest versions from packages.

xyz321
Did the Humax show the pie chart and the HDD capacity for the NTFS drive?

It looks like you may be in the same position as BH and myself.

Sorry I misread the earlier post about copying from external drive to external drive. It does try to do a move operation and fails.

Do you really mean "move"? Mine offers "copy".

I'm also intrigued about the pop-up for a drive that is already connected at boot (but I can't remember which topic it was in).

Mine tries to move as well.

With a file highlighted on the external HDD drive, I select move/copy, navigate to the NTFS drive - the red button icon says COPY, I press the red button and the on-screen caption says added to MOVE list and then fails. The source file disappears from the list, but re-appears if I navigate away and come back.

With a file highlighted on the external HDD drive, I select move/copy, navigate to the NTFS drive - the red button icon says COPY, I press the red button and the on-screen caption says added to MOVE list and then fails. The source file disappears from the list, but re-appears if I navigate away and come back.
I have not noticed that, but it might be true in my case as well. A move operation should only be a case of updating the drive index, so it is doomed to fail (and we can consider ourselves lucky that it causes no permanent loss).

Hypothesis: it fails to complete because the move process can't get valid index data from the NTFS drive. What would happen if the source and target are both Ext3? Would it recognise that it needed to copy rather than move? Perhaps there is a bug which will still cause it to move, and then corrupt the source and destination indexes. A bit of experimentation with sacrificial drives is called for.

I can't confirm, but I suspect I have performed a transfer between drives before, though the exact circumstances escape me (eg whether they were both NTFS).

What would happen if the source and target are both Ext3? Would it recognise that it needed to copy rather than move?

Yes Ext3 to Ext3 work perfectly an as expected.

Back