I can't see my files on the hummy from xbmc

mccartrey

I've installed xbmc on my Windows 7 PC. I've enabled the options to be able to "see" the hummy on xbmc. I can view the hummy folders under the uPNP section for the device "HDR Fox T2 Media Server" but I can't see any files at all under video.
I have plenty of standard and HD programs recorded on my Hummy.
Am I missing a codec on my PC or something?

I'm assuming you enabled media streaming on the Hummy (Menu > System > Internet Settings > Content Share) when you said you enabled options to see the Hummy. The next bit is you may have to wait a while for the files to get indexed before you see them (especially as you said you've got plenty of recordings on the box). I don't think you need any special codecs as xbmc is designed to 'receive' what the Hummy is sending out (using the DLNA/uPNP stuff)

The usual 'switch it all off and back on again' thing applies of course!!

I did enable media streaming on the hummy. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. I'll try that and report back the results. Thanks

I had a hunt about on the forums for xbmc - there might be some useful info somewhere in Here (Click) . It does say that XBMC is alright but may struggle with HD - SplashPlayer is another option which seems to have had better results.

Good news!
VLC has reached v.2 and the uPnP streaming capability that was previously only available in the Linux version is now also present in VLC for Windows.

1) Install VLC v.2. Download here.
2) Run and click View - Playlist
3) On the left, select Local Network - Universal Plug'n'Play.
4) The Humax should appear in the file browser. Navigate to the file required and click!

This needs Humax media sharing to be enabled. You get full control and all the usual VLC goodies, like video and audio tweaking. On a standard setup, only SD files can be streamed, due to the restrictions built into the Humax.

However, with the modified firmware and auto-unprotect, you can also stream HD files direct to VLC. If - like my old lappy - your hardware hasn't got the required graphics clout, then you can also use the VLC Mozilla plugin which works in Firefox and Chrome (haven't tried other browsers). It seems to handle HD on old kit pretty well. More good news - the plugin no longer crashes when you close it, but there is still no FF/Rewind.

Attachments

• vlc.jpg
    vlc.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11
Good news indeed - and bad news: I shall have to go and update all the info where I wrote that VLC can't do it.

Update: downloaded and confirmed, full HiDef streaming (with an unprotected file of course) very stuttery on my notebook but that could be the notebook itself or more likely my network. VLC 2.0 now takes top place as preferred streaming client, until something comes along able to negotiate the DTCP and stream HiDef without unprotecting it first.

Yep, VLC v2.0 works a treat. Just streamed last nights 'Benidorm' , recorded in HD, to my PC and it played without a hitch or stutter. FYI, subtitles worked too.

Good news!
VLC has reached v.2 and the uPnP streaming capability that was previously only available in the Linux version is now also present in VLC for Windows.

1) Install VLC v.2. Download here.
2) Run and click View - Playlist
3) On the left, select Local Network - Universal Plug'n'Play.
4) The Humax should appear in the file browser. Navigate to the file required and click!

This needs Humax media sharing to be enabled. You get full control and all the usual VLC goodies, like video and audio tweaking. On a standard setup, only SD files can be streamed, due to the restrictions built into the Humax.

However, with the modified firmware and auto-unprotect, you can also stream HD files direct to VLC. If - like my old lappy - your hardware hasn't got the required graphics clout, then you can also use the VLC Mozilla plugin which works in Firefox and Chrome (haven't tried other browsers). It seems to handle HD on old kit pretty well. More good news - the plugin no longer crashes when you close it, but there is still no FF/Rewind.

A couple of weeks ago I tried this and could see all the files on the Humax but since updating VLC to the newest version nothing happens when I click on Local Network - uPnP. I even went back to the previous version of VLC but still no joy. Am I doing something wrong? Should it pop up instantly if it's going to work or does it take time to populate? I think it was instant when I got it to work.

I even installed FileZilla and couldn't get that to work either, it just kept timing out and couldn't connect. Do you think it could be a wireless problem?

Did you reinstall the Mozilla plugin when you upgraded VLC? If not, it might be worth a try.

Sorry to be a bit thick but I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I have Windows 7 and under "Network" the Humax sometimes appears as a Media Device and sometimes it has disappeared. So do you think all this points to some kind of wireless black spot, even though the computer is right next to the Humax? When it appears I can read the files on the Humax which get opened only in Windows Media Player, which of course won't play them, but in VLC the Humax doesn't appear in "Network" at all.

Back