I have a Humax Portal button on my Remote !

timmy_toad

Hi all, I have had my Freeview Humax for a while, I also have a Freesat Humax, but of course it is ONLY the Freeview version that has the Humax Portal button.

I pressed it when I first got it, but was a little disappointed, when I found that I could only receive a limited ammount of Goodies, BBC iPlayer was about my lot.

I am asking now, has there been ANY other goodies added to the Portal ?, if so, how should I go about getting my Humax updated to receive these extra goodies ?

Is it perhaps something I have to download from the Internet and copy onto a memory stick to plug into the back of my Humax, can someone point me in the right direction to get the correct download, please.

Tim

The population of "apps" available on the TV Portal is controlled by the Humax server, not the firmware.

OK thanks for that info "black hole" it is much appreciated.

So does that mean the number of "APPS" hasn't increased ? not even a tiny bit !

Tim

It has a little. BBC news and sports and euronews apps were some of the latest additions last time I looked.

Well Chris I'm looking forward to your additional bits on the New Portal of the Custom Software when af123 has time to add them as per I solicited out of you on the other thread on the custom software threads.

The new BBC Sports app was good during the commonwealth games giving you the live streaming in HD which wasn't available on the Freeview broadcast channels plus on demand pieces. So this is the place to look when the BBC starts talking about online sports content in a sports event. It's likely to be here.

Think we are hoping that af123 will fish that app and the news app out and put them on the pick list for the new portal (only available on the custom software) plus Chris' trailed offerings that was other online content :).

Euronews app that isn't on my standard list but then other stuff was fished out from sources for the new portal plus a list of place markers that don't do too much.

(I'm still loving the custom software)

you do realise you can access the normal humax portal through the custom portal yes?

Steady on please Chris, you are confusing me now with mention of two different Portals ???, I have had my question answered now, I shall now bow out gracefully , thanks :)

Tim

I did qualify on the other thread at the time Chris since I knew this would come up.... The other optional portal is via the custom software. Since you posted your question on the vanilla thread rather than the exotic thread you only got the standard ice cream.

I did wonder what the reference to @TELL was all about.

Ah, well blow me down, I see now this thread has moved from where I first put it.

Am I to believe therefore that my HDR-FOX T2 Humax is the ONLY Humax to have the Humax Portal button on the remote control ???

Tim

Am I to believe therefore that my HDR-FOX T2 Humax is the ONLY Humax to have the Humax Portal button on the remote control ???
All Remote Controls that are supplied with HDR-Fox T2 (RM-F04) , have a TV Portal Button, with Original Humax software this button will call up the standard Humax TV portal, if the Custom Firmware is installed, the same button will pull up a different Custom TV Portal menu, that has options to select the 'normal TV portal, as well as new icons to select further options

All Remote Controls that are supplied with HDR-Fox T2 (RM-F04) , have a TV Portal Button, with Original Humax software this button will call up the standard Humax TV portal, if the Custom Firmware is installed, the same button will pull up a different Custom TV Portal menu, that has options to select the 'normal TV portal, as well as new icons to select further options

Thanks for your response "Ezra Pound", maybe I should rephrase my question a little ? :- "is the HDR-Fox T2 the only Humax box to have the TV Portal feature included in the Original Humax Software ? "

Furthermore, the Custom Firmware that you speak of, is that what I can see on my Lap Tops browser, whenever I type in the correct IP address ?

Thanks, in anticipation of your answer, which should clear a couple of things up :)

PS. I am perhaps a little slow in realising this, but I am beginning to realise that the HDR-FOX T2 is the ONLY Hummy box to have the TV Portal button as standard !.

Tim

I am perhaps a little slow in realising this, but I am beginning to realise that the HDR-FOX T2 is the ONLY Hummy box to have the TV Portal button as standard !.
Definitely not the case! HD-FOX does as well, from my own experience, and I expect others will report on other models.

Furthermore, the Custom Firmware that you speak of, is that what I can see on my Lap Tops browser, whenever I type in the correct IP address ?
The custom firmware is what gives the HDR-FOX (and HD-FOX) an interface which is accessed via a web browser, yes, but that is not the entirety of it. See Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).

In the specific case of the TV Portal, there are packages (optional add-ons to the custom firmware) which modify the function of the TV Portal button - for example to provide button short-cuts to individual apps (eg iPlayer) without having to go through Humax's intermediate graphical interface, and to access other experimental facilities such as being able to display output from a network camera, but there are no additions to the Internet facilities from what Humax provides.

It used to be the case that the custom portal people could sneak a way in to Sky Player because there was a development version of a Sky Player app on the Humax server, but that is no longer available (not in a working state anyway).

Black Hole I seem to recall that the old portal as far as the network camera was broken and its only the new portal "supported" now. You can tell me that I'm wrong if you wish but I seem to recall a thread which threw the towel in on old custom portal, perhaps with the 3 series of software with the changed browser. Luddites will find it works who don't like the slow EPG and haven't gone over to the new portal although that's optional.

I don't know about that. The distinction between old and new custom portals is that one only works with pre-1.03 standard firmware and the other only works with 1.03+ firmware (because of the included browsers) - and they cannot co-exist.

The HDR 1000S has the TV portal, but it is still rubbish. I guess there might be a button, I never use the remote.

Edit: It doesn't have the button. The portal is tucked away in the Home menu under Humax.

Definitely not the case! HD-FOX does as well, from my own experience, and I expect others will report on other models.
The custom firmware is what gives the HDR-FOX (and HD-FOX) an interface which is accessed via a web browser, yes, but that is not the entirety of it. See Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click).
In the specific case of the TV Portal, there are packages (optional add-ons to the custom firmware) which modify the function of the TV Portal button - for example to provide button short-cuts to individual apps (eg iPlayer) without having to go through Humax's intermediate graphical interface, and to access other experimental facilities such as being able to display output from a network camera, but there are no additions to the Internet facilities from what Humax provides.
It used to be the case that the custom portal people could sneak a way in to Sky Player because there was a development version of a Sky Player app on the Humax server, but that is no longer available (not in a working state anyway).

Thanks Black Hole, that put me right, no doubt about that, thanks a million.

Tim

Back