I installed the Customised Firmware 9 months ago and never used it in anger, now i cant find it ...

timmy_toad

Hi ALL, my brain is like a sieve, i know i installed the Customised Firmware about March time last year, i never really used it at that time, but i do know i could see, my Humax Hard Drive on my Lap Top.

Now i need to use it, i cant remember how to do it again. I have played, via the BBC iPlayer Portal, the file i need to COPY, but now i am stuck !.

I have typed into my lap tops browser, the IP address of my Humax box, which i think is what i have to do, but it doesnt do anything !.

I can see on the Forum that there is some helpful stuff to Install the Firmware, but i got a bit lost in trying to find out how to access it, after it has been installed !

I am sure it is very easy, i just need a few clues please.

Tim

You will find that your firmware has probably been reverted to normal after an over-the-air update. Mine did exactly that as I forgot to turn off the auto-update in the settings.

I can see on the Forum that there is some helpful stuff to Install the Firmware, but i got a bit lost in trying to find out how to access it, after it has been installed !
If you have allowed automatic firmware updates then the custom firmware will have been wiped out by the first one that came along - and there have been several in the last 9 months. I strongly recommend you read my link "Things Every HD/HDR-FOX Owner Should Know" to get up to speed on these things.

What you need to do now is manually install either 1.02.20 or 1.02.29 (see notes in Things Every... to decide which, 1.02.20 will probably give you a quieter life), install the relevant custom firmware that goes with it, and take anti-OTA measures to stop it happening again (notes and links to further notes in Things Every...). Then the WebIF etc will come to life again (I recommend installing the auto-update package for the custom firmware, even though I don't recommend the same for the standard firmware!).

You will find that your firmware has probably been reverted to normal after an over-the-air update. Mine did exactly that as I forgot to turn off the auto-update in the settings.
There is no "turn off the auto-update in the settings". You have to take measures (see Things Every...).

ok thanks yet again mr "black hole" you are being very gentle with me, i can tell LOL.

So i have to start from the very beginning again, thanks, WILL DO

Tim

Anything that you set up using the Custom Firmware last time is still there, it won't have been wiped, however you will need to kick it off again by re-installing the Custom Firmware Notes HERE

O dear, my first hurdle is as follows, my current Software version is FHTCP 1.02.28
I asked it to search for updates and it did not find any updates !
It reads in the very helpful instructions that the LATEST version should 1.02.29 !!!!!!

Should i just ignore this and carry on ?, if it can't find the latest update now, what chance is there of it finding the latest update when installing the custom software ?.

Tim

OK Lads, i have at last got success, it WAS easy really, i was making so much fuss about wasnt I !.

So now i would like to ask, hopefully my last question today.

I can see the File i need is there, having saved the last streamed file, but how can i NOW get it onto my Hard Drive ?. Please.

Tim

Just copy it. You can use the WebIF (Opt+ copy to clipboard, navigate to destination, paste) or the normal remote control, or (I think) you can use the WebIF to download it direct to PC.

o dear, hi i have done COPY using both methods, firstly ticking the box next to the file, using copy from the little yellow box underneath the file list and also by pressing OPT+ and selecting Copy to Clipboard, in both instances i didnt have ANYTHING else come up on the screen for me to choose where it was going. I did get a message to tell me, it would take a long time and that was all !!??

Tim

I'm not sure where the file is going, If you want to get it off the Humax on to your P.C. use the Web-If >> OPT+ >> Download

I'm not sure where the file is going, If you want to get it off the Humax on to your P.C. use the Web-If >> OPT+ >> Download
Hi Ezra Pound thanks for your reply, while all this was going on, i realised that My Freeview Humax box had crashed, i had probably giving it too much copying to do LOL.
So now i have Re-Booted it and i am now playing the same file again, so that i can again SAVE it and i shall try and understand how to use WEBif this time, before i try and do anything else.

Thanks for continuing to help me :)

Tim

After you "copy to clipboard" there is a list at the bottom of the page of files currently in the clipboard. Then you use the media browser to navigate to the destination (click on the directory path at the top to move up levels), and when you get to the destination click "paste".

I'm thinking these tools should be at the top of the page instead of at the bottom where people don't notice them.

PHEW, i do believe i have NOW cracked it !!!. Yeah.
To make things even better i have found out where i was going wrong.
Realistically i ONLY really needed the Custom Firmware to be able to SAVE the streamed file to the Humax Hard Drive.
it was then i made it harder/impossible for myself by trying to copy/move this file somewhere else on my humax hard drive.
This was mainly due to ME Saving the file, while i was in the INCORRECT folder, i then had trouble moving it to the correct folder (where i could actually access it from the Humax itself)
So then i found i could SAVE the file into the same folder where all my other recorded files are, from there it was easy peasy to plug in an External USB drive and Copy it across this USB drive and then to my Lap Top's hard drive.

YIPPEE thanks to everyone for helping me :)

PS. i do find the File Manager on my FREESAT Humax easier to use, than the alternative on my Freeview Humax !! IMHO

Tim

Back