I installed wrong firmware.

deafray

Hi, a few years ago I installed the Foxsat HD firmware instead of the HDR, this did work and my box turned into the HD box with no recordings ect, I did manage to sort the problem by renaming the HDR firmware to the same name as the HD firmware.The Box works ok but I would like to use some of the brill add ons from this forum,but I'm afraid I will brick my box if i do.
When trying to install any firmware my box won't accept the firmware unless renamed.
Any Help will be gratefully received.
Thanx ray.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you seem to have achieved the impossible twice (with unmodified Humax firmware anyway). The firmware, regardless of what you name it, contains an embedded system ID which is unique to the box it is intended for. If the system ID in the firmware doesn't match that of the box, then the system loader will simply reject it and display an error code, rather than attempt to install it. The system ID of the Foxsat HDR is 3768.0000, and on the Foxsat HD it's 35F1.0000. Can you check the system ID of your box via Menu->System->Diagnostics and tell us what it is, plus the version numbers of the Loader and Application. Also please confirm that it is actually a Foxsat HDR PVR that you own, and not a Foxsat HD.

Last edited:
Hi, a few years ago I installed the Foxsat HD firmware instead of the HDR, this did work and my box turned into the HD box with no recordings ect, I did manage to sort the problem by renaming the HDR firmware to the same name as the HD firmware.The Box works ok but I would like to use some of the brill add ons from this forum,but I'm afraid I will brick my box if i do.
When trying to install any firmware my box won't accept the firmware unless renamed.
Any Help will be gratefully received.
Thanx ray.
If you are trying to install the firmware you downloaded in your previous post (HD/HDR-FOX custom firmware section), you should note that it is the firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 (Freeview, UK terrestrial broadcasting via TV aerial) not the Foxsat-HDR (Freesat, satellite broadcasting via satellite receiver dish). Which are you really talking about? For Foxsat custom firmware see the FoxsatHDR custom firmware section HERE (click).

The wrong firmware shouldn't install, even if you rename the file, because the file data checks should fail.

Update: apologies, I confused you with another user. My second paragraph still applies.

Last edited:
Hi, Black Hole,
Thanks for the fast reply,believe me I know I did the impossible, I have updated firmware for many PC's and have had many problems,like bricking MOBOS with the right firmware.
I had to replace my Humax hard drive just before my warrant had ended, I emailed tech support with my problems, and just give up in the end and got a 1tb instead of a 500gb, my Humax box was very buggy at first so I guess there was a problem with the early firmware, if this allowed me to use the wrong firmware.
I have a photo of my diagnostics tab of my Humax and your right about the 3768.0000 being the number for the Foxsat HDR, the software version is HPRSFCI 1.00.21, the Loader version is U 7.54 I will post the photo when I can resize it below 1mb, I don't have the software to do this having just bought a new PC.
Thanx again for the quick reply, and I look forward to reading some of the excellent threads that I have glanced at.
Ray.

Although addressed to Black Hole, I'll take it you're replying to me as it's my questions you have answered. No need for a photo but can you please state the exact name you gave to your .hdf file in order to achieve a successful flash.

Last edited:
My apologies raydon for the mix up with the names.I have problems with short term memory and concentration issues due to a sleep disorder, hence the bad installation.
I can't remember the name of the .hdf files they could be one of my old laptops buried in the garage,when I find it I will post the info here.
I have noticed one bug with my Humax, one of the satellite inputs into my Humax does show no signal occasionally, I noticed again on the photo I took. I have checked the f connector with a magnifying glass and all is ok, I had this problem first at my old address and have recently moved. This could be an after effect of using the wrong firmware.
Thanks for replying.
deafray.

No worries Ray, I only asked in order to be 100% certain that you were using a firmware file named FOXSAT-HD_upgrade.hdf to reflash a Foxsat HDR. I still find it hard to believe, since the firmware filename is actually embedded into the loader code. Never mind, I reckon we can still fix it.

You need to download and install a new loader to replace the installed one which appears to have the wrong filename embedded in it.
Download the loader firmware from HERE , rename it from FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade_U7_54.hdf to FOXSAT-HD_upgrade.hdf then flash your box with it.
Remember, this will only replace the loader, so you will not see any difference until you try and reflash your box with a full standard firmware, (Official v 1.00.21 is available from HERE) .
If everything goes according to plan you should find that you no longer need to rename it for it to work. I hope you have a successful outcome.

If you wish to install the custom firmware instead of the standard version you can find lots of information and a download link for it on AV Forums in the Freesat section HERE. That is where the main support base for the Foxsat HDR custom firmware resides, but there is still lots of information available here as well. Just remember not to confuse Foxsat HDR custom firmware with that of the HDR Fox T2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info raydon, it seems I may owe you another apology. I may of give you the give you the impression that I have flashed my Humax recently, this is not the case. It was done on the 27th of July 2012, two PC's ago, (this info was on the photo I took of my Humax) I really need to find the original .hdf's on my old XP laptop just for peace of mind, I usually do a screen print and a readme for obvious reasons, normally zipped and password protected. So I'm sure I will find the files sooner or later.
I won't do anything until then, I like to be ultra careful after all my silly mistakes.
Another bug is the subtitle temporary fix by pressing exit twice when in the timeshift,this doen't work.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.
ray.

I may of give you the give you the impression that I have flashed my Humax recently, this is not the case. It was done on the 27th of July 2012
That's actually the date the firmware revision was released, not the date you flashed it. Every box using that version will display the same date.

Last edited:
Oh I see, that explains why the date of the firmware was different from the posting date, by a few months, I was always puzzled by this.

Success!
The Humax was flashed successfully but not as expected, I tried the loader renamed HD with no joy, so I tried the original name HDR, I had the same problem, and with the Official v 1.00.21 firmware but still no joy, does the Humax accept the same or earlier firmware ? I ask because PC BIOS firmware normally won't. So I thought I'd try your custom firmware, not expecting it to work, but it did! Yippee!
I did install a second firmware after my mix up with a new version, and had to rename it FOXSAT-HD_upgrade.hdf, well I'm guessing this must have sorted my problem.
Well it looks like I wasted your time, but the main thing is I have got my confidence back when flashing my Humax, thanks to you.
raydon your a genius!
Thanks again.
ray.

Success!
..does the Humax accept the same or earlier firmware ?
Yes, it does, I'm very surprised that you were unable to flash either the loader or the official firmware. As long as they were named FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf they should have worked.
Never mind, you got there in the end.
BTW like the avatar and sig. When you first started posting I thought it meant you were hard of hearing ! :D

Now I've need to get my head round setting up the new firmware ect, but looking forward to it. My avatar is a bit of a joke with the double meaning. But if you can't laugh at your self, your a miserable begger. (an old East Yorkshire saying) :D
There is more info about me in my details, the best thing is my sleep disorder is sorted.
Respect raydon, and I'll try not to bother you again, well not for a while anyway. :D

Back