I Player stops working

John Blackburn

the BBC I-player app which previously worked successfully, now will not play any programme and gives temporary problem message. Same thing happens with BBC News. You tube works OK.
I have recently added a BT Wifi extender to my Virgin Media Router. I tried switching Extender off to no effect.
Humax HDR Fox T2 is hardwired to Router.

I have the same problem. I upgraded the custom software today to the latest (April 2017 - bit late of me) but I didn't check whether it was working before.

I guess it's temporary twiddly circle and error code screen 02001 "Something went wrong loading this programme".

I note Evil's twin or variation on the name was recently talking about the iPlayer being withdrawn and a workaround, so I'm hoping the superior knowledge to my own will do the work around if that day occurs. I guess this isn't that day yet.

This is not an infrequent occurrence, and I am getting the same thing. I suspect it is a temporary hitch rather than the impending complete withdrawal, because the interface is still accessible.

In another thread, I have proposed a port of get_iplayer as a possible solution.

I remember that proposal and it was said by af123 that the box didn't have enough processing power... I don't fancy entering program Id codes into it in any case, you might just as well run said program. I think Dinkypumpkin does a good job of keeping the said program working across platforms.

Monty'sEvilTwin discussion looked hopeful if that could be got working if the plug was pulled on the Humax HDR iPlayer.

I am getting the same issue as OP. I think the issue is that BBC have changed the iplayer (as accessed from a PC) so that you now *have* to sign in - but they haven't bothered to change the Humax app to enable you to do that.

Could be, but it's the same symptoms/message as has happened before (that's not unexpected, I'm just saying that on previous occasions the problem has resolved). I wonder if it is possible to spoof a login for the unit's ID (whatever might constitute that)?

BBC iPlayer is now working again on the HDR-FOX. The version has been updated (now on framework version 8.0). The version information is the same as the app on my Samsung TV, however the Samsung now has a login facility for BBC accounts: this is absent on the HDR-FOX. The login is not yet being enforced for the Samsung app. I presume that when signing in becomes mandatory, iPlayer will stop working on the HDR-FOX.

Snap. Checked as well and found it was now working.

Mind you I can't totally see why they want you to login in for license purposes is it not for My BBC or whatever its called which will associate TV it thinks you want to watch from what you have or something.

You can fake the IP address with some routers and VPNs to put it somewhere else in the UK but then everyone who's fiddling would be there. The Tv's & boxes they know who bought them although car boot sales no.

I'm counting on you and the others to port the Humax 2000 one if they ever pull the plug :).

I had a little poke around under the hood, but I am out if my depth I'm afraid. The necessary changes have been made to the latest version of the HDR-2000T software (1.01.18) and I hope that it may be possible to port the changes to the HDR-FOX. One of the changes is to add a new domain, which I think is the 'bbctvapps' domain. The other is to add Transport Layer Security (V1.2), presumably for the login. This may be problematic. Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing will develop an interest!

Back