I think I broke it... Can't access internet

rbrian

I happily downloaded the custom firmware 1.03.06 over my existing 1.02.28. All went well, I set up WebIF, and started downloading extra components... and that's where the trouble started. I downloaded the ExFAT thing, thinking it would help with external disks, not realising it would force me to format the internal disk when I restarted. So, having reformatted, I can log in to my box with the IP address, but it won't download the full WebIF, saying

"Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again. "

I've tried to use the TV Portal (I also downloaded an extended one, but I didn't get to try it before the disastrous restart), and it's just blank. It thinks it's in the TV Portal, but nothing happens.

In the settings it says it has a connection, my router says it is connected... what can I do now?

I tried reinstalling the custom firmware, and it made no difference.

You could fix the WebIF by putting it on a USB stick, turning the box off and on and it will install.

The internet is controlled by the interface on the TV with remote, so have a look there. And of cause your router.

I'm sure there's better advice to come from others, best of luck.

I installed the official 1.02.32, tried again and now all the internet stuff works, so it must have been something custom that broke it. I reinstalled Custom 1.03.06, and now WebIF is downloading properly. This time I shall be a bit more careful downloading new stuff - it would be nice it everything had a description, and a link to a full information page. It would have been nicer had I thought to backup everything on the internal drive!

I did get to the point where I could stream my recordings to my iPad, all I want now is to stream it over 3G and I'll be happy.

Most Custom Firmware packages have notes in the WiKi HERE, if you are running CFW 1.03.06 you must not run old versions of the Custom TV portal so if you have Portal Xtra1 or the even older Custom TV portal you MUST uninstall these before installing and running the newer 'New Portal' package

I happily downloaded the custom firmware 1.03.06 over my existing 1.02.28. All went well, I set up WebIF, and started downloading extra components... and that's where the trouble started. I downloaded the ExFAT thing, thinking it would help with external disks, not realising it would force me to format the internal disk when I restarted. So, having reformatted, I can log in to my box with the IP address, but it won't download the full WebIF, saying

"Collected errors:
* opkg_conf_load: Could not lock /tmp/opkg.lock: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Error retrieving package list from the Internet. Please check your connection
and try again. "

I've tried to use the TV Portal (I also downloaded an extended one, but I didn't get to try it before the disastrous restart), and it's just blank. It thinks it's in the TV Portal, but nothing happens.

In the settings it says it has a connection, my router says it is connected... what can I do now?

I tried reinstalling the custom firmware, and it made no difference.

The ExFAT builder does not require you to format the internal disk, what it does is provide tools for the user to install exFAT support from Internet resources (because of copyright). Once installed, it makes access to exFAT formatted USB drives possible. Few people would need this, FAT and EXT3 are already supported, and NTFS support is easy to add.

I don't know what has gone wrong in your case, most likely a misunderstanding about what to do with the ExFAT builder.

In general, it is best not to just install packages willy-nilly, but at the very least read the Wiki information if not research the purpose of any particular package in the relevant forum topic(s).

What to do now? Get back to a known state. Install the official 1.02.32 firmware (nothing downloadable after 1.02.32 is official at the time of writing), then install the latest CF available for 1.02.32. Access the Telnet menu and set RMA mode (which will clean out any remnants from previous custom installs that might cause trouble). Install 1.02.32 again. Now you should be able to move on - install the unofficial 1.03.06 or 1.03.11 if you want, and install the relevant custom firmware.

Maybe it wasn't that, but something insisted on formatting the drive before it would let me do anything else. Lesson learned, I'll read the release notes next time - I might have done if there was a link to them on WebIF.

exFAT builder would not have caused this directly, but it is a large package because of all the dependencies it pulls in so the disk activity it caused could have exposed a latent defect. It was presumably the standard Humax software that then asked you to reformat. I would restart to maintenance mode and run the fix disk process from the telnet menu to check the disk.

Few people would need this, FAT and EXT3 are already supported, and NTFS support is easy to add.

You say this but not everybody uses Windows. exFAT is the industry standard for transferring large AV files on flash media and is optimised for that. I use in preference to ext3 or NTFS because I know that if I turn up somewhere then it's very likely that the Windows or Mac I plug it into will read it - no extra packages to install or fiddling to be done.

After much messing about trying to get drives to work on Windows and Mac, I settled on ExFAT as being the best supported - it just works on all my computers. Of course, now that I've managed to install the correct packages, open ports on my router, and register with NoIP, it doesn't really matter - I can access everything on all my devices from anywhere! As a test, I tethered my wifi only iPad to my iPhone with Bluetooth. I turned off wifi, and used 3G to access my Humax box, and found I could play all my files - even ones I'd copied from my old FoxSAT HDR before I moved house, which didn't play on the Fox T2.

I wish I'd done this years ago!

Back