I think it's dead, please check/advise

clemenzina

I had been having occasional crash/reboot cycles like OldWindmill but not for a while.

Tonight the box wouldn't boot. I am always busy doing something else at the same time, so don't necessarily see the sequence of events.

Switched off at the back, left it for a good many minutes, switched back on.

System Start
Custom Firmware 2.14
Light goes from blue to red
Hard drive grinds for 10/20 seconds, stops
Ear placed against side of box reveals 'hummy' sound

(It's always been a noisy hard drive, as if a fairy drummer lived inside.)

I've had several goes at switching off, leaving it a while, and switching back on, always with the same result.

As you can see, my CF is ancient - and so am I, and not getting any brighter, and I can hardly remember a thing about it and don't even know where it is on my PCs, if anywhere at all :O

Open up the box and disconnect the HDD and try another boot. This will possibly eliminate the HDD as the main problem (or suggest that it is). It should boot, but obviously won't record etc. The CF version is extremely unlikely to be causing the problem. Does the HDD sound normal?

What a surprise! It just came to life @ the 04:19hr avoid-any-changes time. Here I am on the BBC Red Button channel.

Do you have any advice, taking that into account?

I didn't see your post, Trev - thank you. I'm really not in a position even to get it out of its hole, let alone open it up. Am really up against it.

"Normal" for this HDD is, as said, as if a fairy drummer lives there. Muffled drumming of fingers since Day1.

I don't mind buying a new PVR before this one finally fails but there seems nothing on the market that would replace it like-for-like only better ;)

The box turned itself off after the 04:19hr period, and when I powered on via the remote control it loaded the Humax logo, brief green screen, then slowly loaded BBC Red Button page. Media loads normally, MotD2 playing normally.

Do you have any advice, taking that into account?
Yes, load the latest custom firmware and do a bit more diagnosis with help from here. You won't find a replacement that 'will replace it like for like only better'. The newer ones do have a load more internet catchup stuff though if that's your penchant.
But take note, I don't like peeps who like footy. It destroys all other programming.:D

What a surprise! It just came to life @ the 04:19hr avoid-any-changes time.
Means nothing. If you are physically unable to perform diagnostic actions leading to possible repair (most likely case: replace the HDD) you will be on borrowed time.

I don't mind buying a new PVR before this one finally fails but there seems nothing on the market that would replace it like-for-like only better ;)
Not if you are keen on our customisations, no. The best you can do is swap user flexibility for catchup services.

As you can see, my CF is ancient - and so am I, and not getting any brighter, and I can hardly remember a thing about it and don't even know where it is on my PCs, if anywhere at all :O
That version of CF is no longer supported - it won't stop working, but you cannot install any new packages (and you will be amazed how much the WebIF has developed). It's nothing to do with your PC, although you will use up your PC to download the updated firmware and unpack it onto a UPD for installation.

Refresher here: Quick Guide to Custom Firmware (click)

Have you been through this?: Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

Back