If I copy a 9200 disk to an older 9200 will it get the same software release?

baldur-

Hi,

I recently retrieved the PVR 9200 that I bought for my Mother many years ago - she no longer needs it and I would like to use it.

I already have an identical box here (I bought two so I could support her use of it over the phone - button by button with an identical remote).

Her one still has a 2007 version of the software which is significantly worse than the current (1.00.23 @ 2010) version I have.

The reason for the difference is that like many people of her generation she always insisted on unplugging EVERYTHING before going to bed - so the box had no opportunity to update OTA.

1.00.23 @ 2010 is no longer available from Humax - their website is atrocious - will not recognise 9200T at all - and their reply to my query was quite curt - FU would have been slightly more terse AND a much better representation of their respect for their users.

I expect someone on this forum could provide a copy BUT.... RS232 is probably my least favourite technology of all time - I'd be much happier knapping a flint knife if it would help.

On the other hand my experience with humaxrw suggests that copying disk-to-disk would be much more straightforward. Probably take less time to set up and be finished copying by dinnertime.

The fly in the ointment is the age of the box - I recall that in that era EEPROMs were widely used - so now I'm not confident any more... Would a whole-disk copy carry the software over or not?

Thanks.

On the other hand my experience with humaxrw suggests that copying disk-to-disk would be much more straightforward. Probably take less time to set up and be finished copying by dinnertime.

The fly in the ointment is the age of the box - I recall that in that era EEPROMs were widely used - so now I'm not confident any more... Would a whole-disk copy carry the software over or not?
Definitely not. The software is in Flash RAM not on the hard drive. You can easily prove this for yourself by disconnecting the hard drive and then booting the Humax; it will bot normally and work as a non recording set top box. See http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html for my utility and instructions on updating via RS232 (and how to get the 1.00.23). The easiest route is a USB to RS232 converter.

Hi,

I recently retrieved the PVR 9200 that I bought for my Mother many years ago - she no longer needs it and I would like to use it.

I already have an identical box here (I bought two so I could support her use of it over the phone - button by button with an identical remote).

Her one still has a 2007 version of the software which is significantly worse than the current (1.00.23 @ 2010) version I have.

The reason for the difference is that like many people of her generation she always insisted on unplugging EVERYTHING before going to bed - so the box had no opportunity to update OTA.

1.00.23 @ 2010 is no longer available from Humax - their website is atrocious - will not recognise 9200T at all - and their reply to my query was quite curt - FU would have been slightly more terse AND a much better representation of their respect for their users.

I expect someone on this forum could provide a copy BUT.... RS232 is probably my least favourite technology of all time - I'd be much happier knapping a flint knife if it would help.

Thanks.

Thanks Martin for putting me straight so quickly - I suspected my idea might be too easy to be true.... I'd completely forgotten about flash memory.

I will look at my stock of unlabelled serial cables and see if I can find a null one - otherwise I will turn my least successful crossover into a null. I will need to find my tiniest iron and hope a single malt will tone the shakes back to 1988 levels...

If the fiddling and flashbacks get too bad I'm not too proud to use the USB solution you suggest - even though it sounds like grafting the Flintstones' phonograph bird onto an iPod.

Thanks again.

I will look at my stock of unlabelled serial cables and see if I can find a null one - otherwise I will turn my least successful .
A null modem cable is a crossover cable; i.e. it connects pin 2 at one end to pin 3 at the other end.

Back