In 2021 can you still play video files direct from webif

taking stick

I am a newbie and oldie in my 70's and can follow simple instructions. There are two video's on you tube which got my interest. One by Metieboy from 2012 where he plays SD files direct from webif. This is what I'd like to do, i.e. enter the ip address of my box into a search browser on my pad or phone and get the content to play. Now how do I do this. So I followed Retro Bristolean video posted this year. All worked fine until I tried using putty to remove protection from HD recordings. All I got was access denied. No matter I managed to download the correct file and upgraded my box using the USB method. I recorded something in HD and the protection tag had been removed. In the settings of the webif, I got a program to convert all my recordings so they said all converted. I don't know if that made any difference. I opened a recording in webfit and pressed play, nothing " plugin not supported." despite using the VLC plugin from Webfit and having VLC player on Windows 10 through Chrome. The way I got content to play is my by using Twonky media, and opening it up in VLC player on my desktop this works. So my question is has playback stopped working direct from webif , so you cannot get content to work on a pad or phone. Is somebody prepared to open webfit to prove me right or wrong. I downloaded Firefox, and got it to download and install VLC player add on's into it. I also did the same for Chrome, I disabled my VPN but no matter what I did, no files will play direct from the webif page. Other than downloading the whole file which takes some time, that file will play in my desktop VLC and it can be pulled into editing software. So I'm sort of 95% there. So is it as far as I will be able to go. What I'm after is to do what Metieboy did all those years ago. Another question in webif Service Management what programs should be switched on. I saw that Splash player got a mention, I have no idea how to get this to work with Humax files. Thankyou for reading. I have read a few posting and you all seem to have no problems manipulating computer files. I think this is beyond me. Any advice would be appreciated. Is anybody prepared to make a you tube video following on from where Retro Bristolian left off.

The ability to play recordings in a web browser was broken by updates to web standards and VLC. There might be a fix if you install exactly the right version of VLC.

In any case, it is easier if you decrypt the recordings rather than rely on DLNA streaming to perform the decryption.

Thanx for your replies, I'll quit while I'm ahead. It must have been good while it lasted. At least I have learnt something. There's one thing using webif is quicker and better that pulling files off by the usb method.

We don't even know, categorically, which box you are talking about. OK, it's in the Foxsat-HDR section, but some people seem to have missed that already.
Start with the fundamentals and state the facts clearly and concisely. Read your own post back, and consider who might be reading it. It's a ramble of random stuff. Sorry, but it is. I gave up after line 3.

it's in the Foxsat-HDR section, but some people seem to have missed that already.
You're right, I did miss that this is the Foxsat section.

I'm only 6 you figure it out
Not very helpful when you're asking for help, we can't guess from this end of the wire. Please confirm whether you're talking Foxsat or HDR-FOX, and if the former whether the YouTube videos you refer to are showing Foxsat. The CFs for HDR-FOX and Foxsat have supeerficial similarity but different capabilities.

I'm sorry for the quip, but I have read a lot of forums, where people ask for help, and after a few replies, the initial question gets side-lined, and other contributors end up arguing among themselves. My box is Humax Foxsat HDR. If you put this search on you tube the video's I mentioned come up. I think Black Hole has already answered my question. You can pick any similar forum about the Foxsat HDR and this question is always asked, without anybody having a solution, It looks as if it worked years ago but not now, but having said that someone always knows a workaround. My question was short and the posting was long, I followed Rastro Bristolean instructions which I thought were pretty comprehensive, he showed how to install the webfit interface but never showed it actually working. It was a recent video. All video recorded on the Humax must be copywrite and you may break you tube rules if you show it. Uploading a white noise video to the humax should get round this. I sent him three comments. You Tube must be running an algorithm, one comment was allowed, 2 others were automatically deleted.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

While I don't know the Foxsat CF specifically, I imagine it has the samba package available. By installing that, the Foxsat HDD storage becomes accessible to a Windows computer over your home network (with caveats about SMB1 and SMB3), and you will see it listed in the Network section of Explorer... and also VLC.

You will then be able to play recordings directly from within VLC (provided they're not encrypted).

I'm sorry for the quip, but I have read a lot of forums, where people ask for help, and after a few replies, the initial question gets side-lined, and other contributors end up arguing among themselves.
Well, I wrote an article especially for the likes of you, regarding how to get the best out of the forum: Newbies' Guide to the Forum (click). The problem with your posts is they're not broken up into paragraphs, which makes them hard to read.

Sorry about my Grammar, I had a lot to pack in.

I tried to setup up samba on my computer but I didn't get very far. For me this works. On webif install Twonky Media.
Then on your computer open up VLC---- Go to view.------ then playlist-----then click on universal plug and play----an orange icon will spin-----Twonky media will appear on the right hand panel and in my case my local network also appears------- keep clicking on Twonky media until you get into the last video folder------ Everything you have recorded on your Humax will be be there------- highlight the one you want ------right click----press play-------and there you have it. Similarly I can get VLC to play most video files that are on my computer.
To my original question. The answer would appear to be no. While I'm away from home I'll just use my Fire stick, now there's a tool you can mess around with. Thankyou for all your comments, sorry to all who I offended, on my part it's time to call it a day. bye.

I tried to setup up samba on my computer
samba needs installing on the Foxsat, not the PC. It provides server functions to make content available, for the PC to be a client. All Windows PCs already have the means to be clients (although you might have to enable SMB1 protocol).

For me this works. On webif install Twonky Media....
Yet another way to skin the cat. Twonky provides DLNA streaming (which is already built into HDR-FOX).

I had a lot to pack in.
I've no idea what that has to do with anything. You can pack a lot more into multiple paragraphs than if it's all in one paragraph, and making it easier to understand should be your goal.

Back