In FixDisk Init mode but now unable to connect via Telnet

royalpalmbay

I have had this 2TB disk running FixDisk for four weeks now, and I have regularly monitored it via Telnet on my laptop (it has methodically been identifying issues and rectifying where it can). I was monitoring it today and whilst connected suddenly the connection has been lost and I now cannot reconnect although I am following exactly the same process as usual.

If I cannot reconnect have I basically lost the hard disk, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, it has been running the fix disk for four weeks continuously and I have been monitoring the progress most of the time.

Regarding the hard disk, I am concerned that I have no way of getting it out of maintenance mode because I cannot connect to get it back to normal operation, and if that is the case I see no alternative but to replace the hard disk.

Not yet - this is one of the options I was hoping someone would be able to advice whether it is the sensible thing to do i.e. whilst the HDR is in the FixDisk operation what will happen if I switch the HDR off using the back switch and then switch it back on? Will it still stay in FixDisk or will it revert to normal operation?
Thanks.

I am concerned that I have no way of getting it out of maintenance mode because I cannot connect to get it back to normal operation, and if that is the case I see no alternative but to replace the hard disk.
Just reboot (turn it off and on again)

Thanks again Black Hole - switching off and back on did the job. I had searched the custom firmware guide and the hummy threads but something as simple as this was not covered as far as I could see. Trouble is, when I am doing something I have no previous experience with I am frightened to do anything that might put me further up the creek. Anyway, many thanks for the support.

Yes, but your panicking led to poor thinking. For example:
I am concerned that I have no way of getting it out of maintenance mode because I cannot connect to get it back to normal operation, and if that is the case I see no alternative but to replace the hard disk.

Whether the unit is in Maintenance Mode has nothing to do with the HDD. The unit does not boot from the HDD (in fact, not even desktop computers boot from HDD*). The HDD has to be off-line to run maintenance on it, so obviously the HDD is nothing to do with the operating environment in Maintenance Mode, and if Maintenance Mode (somehow) went wrong, you would recover by flashing standard firmware.

Of course computers boot from HDD, that's where the operating system is stored!

Yes, that's what we commonly say, but that doesn't make it true (in detail). Just like the HDR-FOX, a computer can't actually read anything from a HDD until it runs some code (ie instructions) to tell it how, and those instructions have to be available in the computer's memory from the off. So, straight after a reset (or power-up), a computer is reliant on the code in non-volatile memory to boot, and only after that does it look for more instructions from the HDD (or not, in the case of the HDR-FOX, because the HDD only stores data as standard).

Think yourselves lucky. When I started playing with computers in the 1970s, there was no non-volatile memory so the first thing the operator (ie me) had to do was load instructions into memory manually, using a bank of switches. You could load the whole program that way, very laboriously, but it was error prone and slow, not to mention tedious! In fact, the code you would load manually would be just enough to make the computer fetch data from a paper tape reader, and then the rest of the code would read in from pre-prepared punched tape. The paper tape might then contain instructions to read from the disk pack, from where the full operating system (what there was of it) finally got loaded.

Bear in mind that a top-of-the-range 14-inch four-platter "Winchester" disk pack held 35MB, and if you needed more storage than that you had to physically swap disk packs!

I had searched the custom firmware guide and the hummy threads but something as simple as this was not covered as far as I could see.
Point taken. I have added the following:
In the event that the process "hangs": rebooting (turn power off and on again at the switch on the rear panel) restores normal operation, and you should then retry fixdisk. Beware of rebooting, and reserve as a last resort, because very long periods of apparent inactivity can be normal depending how much work fixdisk has to do. Nonetheless, if the process has actually crashed, intervention is required. Interrupting fixdisk could result in data loss, but not running fixdisk at all is much more likely to result in data loss.

In the event that fixdisk reports more and more HDD problems, on repeated runs: the likelihood is that the HDD has reached end-of-life.

Last edited:
Whether the unit is in Maintenance Mode has nothing to do with the HDD. The unit does not boot from the HDD (in fact, not even desktop computers boot from HDD). The HDD has to be off-line to run maintenance on it, so obviously the HDD is nothing to do with the operating environment in Maintenance Mode, and if Maintenance Mode (somehow) went wrong, you would recover by flashing standard firmware.
Obviously you may not realise how much of that information is way above the heads of non techie people. I'll tell you: tonnes

Thanks again Black Hole. This has been a big learning curve and you have imparted some important knowledge to me.

Just to finish this off you will be pleased to know that the 2TB HDR is back functioning correctly (no continuous deleting message), and no recordings have been lost, so a complete success.

Having used the maintenance functionality in the custom firmware now twice in quick succession successfully on two different machines I want to thank all the dedicated members of this forum who have been instrumental in either developing the firmware or providing this valuable user support, and putting up with novices like me who like using computers but have not got a clue when something goes wrong. Cheers everyone.

Obviously you may not realise how much of that information is way above the heads of non techie people. I'll tell you: tonnes
You are welcome to submit suggested improvements to any of the Wiki pages and other documentation but it is very difficult and time consuming to provide instructions that are complete, concise and correct especially when it has to cover such a range of possible problems and range of user experience. Often there are numerous alternatives approaches and by documenting one in detail it can make it appear as the only correct solution

The other problem is that by explaining every last detail, readers seem to lose the will to live. My idea of "quick" is everything in one place (but not necessarily concise), and all the reader has to do is take it one step at a time.

Back