Installed CF and getting channels 800+ in epg

Tim.C

I've finally installed CF and having a play. Apologies if this turns out to be a stupid question.

As it's a new box, I have done a full retune (actually a manual network search).
I selected my region (only one option) and all is good on the box.

However. the WebIf epg is finding 800+ channels that aren't showing on the box epg.
From Diagnostics -> Channel Information I can see my box has tuned and hidden an 'unknown network' mux which is causing the 22 800+ channels (and I know from the channel number it isn't a mux I should have)

Is there anything I can do?

Detune from the box?
Hide from the WebIf epg?

Hoping to avoid a manual retune channel by channel.

Thought so. I was just hoping that the WebIf had either a way to remove the dodgy mux or a setting to hide 800+ from its epg.

It's quite annoying when you do a search, and that will be my main use of the WebIf - searching the epg.

The daft thing is, the shopping channels I've deleted from the box don't show in the epg on WebIf, but I can't delete the 800+ channels as they're hidden on the box!!!!!!!

Are the 800 channels repeats of what you already have? If so, from which transmitter are they? Are they from your 'main' transmitter? A manual retune, which doesn't take very long once you know the channels that you need to tune. (Although, I will admit it is a bit of a ball ache:()

Yes - it's the mux with BBC1 and 2 for a second time, very weak signal.

I live in an area right on the edge of the main transmitter coverage and has fill-in repeaters etc - so if I do a auto the channel numbers go well in to the 1000s !!!!!!!

It's annoying because the network search works fine for the box, it's just WebIf......

I do not recommend using the network search option. Research the channel numbers you expect for your area and run a manual tune - it doesn't take long. I keep a list written down handy, the important bits being the transmission channel number and which ones are DVB-T2.

Full instructions HERE (click).

A network search works fairly well for me - it just misses one of the DVB-T2 muxes which needs to be added by a manual tune afterwards. At least this way it keeps all the junk from Wenvoe out of the mix.

I used to get duplicate channels in the 800's. After a bit of research about the transmitter I'm receiving the signal from, I bought a band pass filter that only allows the signal from Crystal Palace through. Since then, no more duplicate/800+ channel numbers :). I know some people on the boundary between 2 transmitters might not want this, but it works for me.

That only works if the channels aren't interleaved. Unfortunately this usually isn't the case (any more) and it certainly isn't in both the installations I look after.

Probably the quickest solution would be to insert a variable attenuator into the aerial feed and adjust it until your wanted signals are just above the threshold. At that point your weaker unwanted signals will no longer be receivable. Now do an auto retune and you shouldn't have any channels in the 800's. You can then remove the attenuator or leave it in as you see fit. Variable attenuators are available from a number of places, such as Amazon, Maplins, Satcure, etc.

I live on the boundary of three main transmitters and multiple signals have not been a problem for me as I've fitted the smallest aerial that will give me a good signal from the wanted transmitter but doesn't give any receivable signal from the unwanted ones. The aerial is also followed by two passive splitters to feed various rooms/equipment. Signal quality is always 100% from the wanted transmitter and no problems from the others. Don't be tempted to fit the biggest aerial you can and also use mast amplifiers and/or amplified splitters/distribution systems - for most people this just isn't necessary.

Good luck,

Peter

It's all linked from the relevant post for tuning, or from the front page forum listing. Just bookmark the manual tuning instructions (see post 6).

However, until the broadcast channels are changed for your area (which is on the horizon), you only need to look up the information once and note it down.

Back