Installing a 2TB disk with Customised Firmware

A copy via telnet won't kick off the decryption, so that would be quicker, but you would have to risk terminating the OPT+ copy/delete first

The reason I was abit vague about quite how fast it was it just I just left it to get on with it so did not know how long it had finished before I checked.

I've just timed an unencrypted 12,336,286,112 Bytes going back in via the UI. It took 811 seconds. That's about 4.2GB every 5 mins.

I've noticed that on export it takes very roughly 60% longer when decrypting. If it is similar on import even that does not account for just 1GB every 5 minutes.

Edit: Oops. sorry. I had not read the previous two posts. I'd expect decryption to bring down the speed by less than 40%. Certainly not as much as over 75%.

I eventually decided to interrupt the copy! Everything seems ok so going forward I think I'll continue on as before but with smaller selections of files :)

If you did want to use the command line you would do something like this :-

Code:
cd '/media/My Video'
ls -al

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      4096 Dec 31 01:28 Spice Trip

cp -r 'Spice Trip' /media/drive1

to copy a directory and it's contents to a USB (drive1). 1.5 GB took 106 Seconds

You may find an incomplete file on your new HDD, If you have an idea which folder it was working on it might be worth a look

Thanks Erza. I know which file it was doing when I stopped it. The incomplete file got overwritten when I restarted the copy on the remaining files in that particular subdirectory.

Using a folder containing a single programme from the HD mux which has a very small epg I took some transfer timings. The folder size was 3.14 GB (3,381,759,456 bytes). The only other activity was being tuned to a medium band freeview radio station.

185 seconds outbound encrypted and stays encrypted
213 seconds inbound encrypted and stays encrypted
945 seconds inbound encrypted and is decrypted

I would regard the decryption as occurring on the outbound leg?

Normally yes. But in my case as my old internal drive is now in a USB caddy, the recordings are being decrypted as they are copied back to the new internal HDD. I'd assumed the box would only decrypt on an outbound copy but it obviously does not differentiate between directions...

I'd assumed the box would only decrypt on an outbound copy but it obviously does not differentiate between directions...
It doesn't even differentiate between copying between the internal HDD and a USB drive and copying between two USB drives.

Back