Installing CF with no Internet connection?

Owen Smith

I want to install CF on my parents and my aunt's HDR Fox T2s, largely because they're both complaining about the fan noise on high speed so I want to install the Fan package. My parents have an Internet connection cabled to the box so no problem there. But my aunt has no Internet and no intention of getting it. I know the main CF comes on via USB stick but how do I install packages? I can't even login to the webIF since there's no internet.

Is there a way to copy the CF installation including all packages from my parents box across to my aunts? I want the same package setup on both boxes so different config isn't an issue. Ideally I'd like to do the transplant by USB stick, anything more complex isn't likely to work.

The only other option I have at my aunt's is a USB wireless dongle for the HDR Fox T2 (I have one spare) and connect it to my iPad's wifi personal hotspot, I know my iPad has 3G coverage on Three at her place. Does anyone know if this will work, I know it's an internet connection but it's a strange way to set up custom firmware.

All packages can be downloaded and installed via USB from the WiKi page HERE, you can get individual packages and also bundles which include all dependant packages. There is no easy way of taking an image of the Custom Firmware so it can be ported to another Humax but as I say all packages can be installed via USB. If your iPad's wifi personal hotspot can make the Humax TV portal work via a USB Wi-Fi dongle then you should also be able to install the CFW the same way, however the Humax only works with USB Wi-fi dongles that have a Ralink 3070 chipset as you are not able to install drivers onto the Humax
An alternative approach might be to set-up CFW on your Aunt's Humax at your house and then return it on completion

I have a spare Humax branded wifi dongle which I used on my HDR Fox T2 before I ran CAT5 to it, so the wifi dongle will work.

But if packages can be installed from USB that's great, that should do everything I want. I hadn't realised that's possible.

Ah, I'm going to need web access working to the webif anyway in order to configure the Fan package. So I don't believe USB loading is going to help me, unless the package can be preconfigured.

I think my best bet is going to be to see if I can get the Internet access working via wifi and personal hotspot on my iPad3. If that works then custom firmware installation is the same across all the HDR Fox T2s I look after.

You can connect to your Aunt's humax without it being connected to the internet or even a router, you can connect directly from a laptop / desktop to the Humax's LAN connector, you would have to manually configure the Laptop and Humax so that they appear to be on the same network as this is normally handled by the router, but its fairly straight forward. The settings would be something like :-

Laptop or Deskop
IP address = 192.168.1.1
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.2
DNS address = 192.168.1.2

Humax
IP address = 192.168.1.2
Subnet = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.1.1
DNS address = 192.168.1.1

I use a TP-Link WR702n for this, I can set it to router mode and it plugs into the Ethernet port + USB port (for power) and then have access to the WebIF via WiFi on the iPad. The advantage of using the 702 over a WiFi dongle is that it does not need to access an external WiFi router (although I think it might be possible to set up an ad-hoc WiFi link between PC and dongle). The iPad doesn't have Ethernet of course.

However, if all you want to do is configure the fan package, I suggest it's not all that important.

I can't even login to the webIF since there's no internet.

Any WiFi router should be able to manage that. Just disconnect your router and plug it in at your Aunt's. You don't need internet access. Everything will complain about limited internet connectivity, but the tablet should be able to see the Hummy.

Back