Installing/using customised firmware if not online?.

Further to Mr Hole's instructions, could you tell me if cat5e/6 cables would be suitable for getting hooked up to the Humax? Also, would they be the patch kind or the crossover ones?? It also appears that a network adapter/router is required? maybe Mr Scum, as a fellow off-liner could advise me of his set-up?.

Many Thanks, (Again!)

UKJ.

For a cable to connect your Humax directly to a laptop/PC, a Cat5e crossover Ethernet cable (RJ-45 plugs on each end) would do the job. Cat6 would be fine too but no need to spend the extra money. The laptop/PC will need an Ethernet port of course. Depending on the laptop/PC, you might get away with a straight cable but that depends on the laptop/PC supporting auto-MDIX, and many don't.

I'm always amazed how much these cables can cost. I make hundreds of these in my day job - 305 yards of cable costs around £50 and each end is only a few pence. Good termination tools cost a couple of hundred although for making up the odd cable there are plenty of cheap crimping tools around.

I know what you mean about the cost of ready-made Cat5 cables, but when I looked into making up my own the price of the components (in low quantities) is prohibitive. There are decent deals on eBay, but I tend to buy retail.

However, there are reasonably priced cables around, try the likes of QD if you are lucky enough to have one (or The Original Factory Shop, B&M, Poundland...), Clas Ohlsen has good stuff too. Asda has shot up in price for that sort of thing lately. B&Q used to have Cat5 at very good prices - but then they also caught on to what everyone else charges. Notice I have not mentioned Tesco, Maplin, and PC World.

Frequently a bought cable comes with a cross-over adapter so you have the best of both worlds.

There has been a bit of a turn-around - in the early days (on this forum) I used to say a cross-over was needed and I got shouted down that it isn't necessary these days!

Thanks af123, have such a cable, but when I attach it to port, laptop not recognising it, I'm running Windows 7 by the way, what do you suggest? and do I need a router as well?.

Sounds like you need a cross-over then. You will not need a router if you get the other things right.

Do you have a manual IP address configured in the Humax settings? Is the netmask valid? What are you trying to connect to - the custom firmware initial start page? What software are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome...)?

On your HDR-FOX bring up the Internet Settings page and report here exactly what it says.

On your PC open a command console (click Start and enter "cmd"), type "ipconfig" and report exactly what it says.

Sorry BH, the cable I'm using is the crossover one as mentioned by af123. I was trying to setup as per your instructions on the previous page. I'm using IE in Windows 7. I can set manual IP and netmask as shown on the Humax but of course can't apply them as all I get is a 'network cable is unplugged' message, despite the fact that it is connected. The initial problem seems to be that the cable is not recognised by windows when attached to the laptop's ethernet port. I've also had a 'not connected, no connections available' message on the laptop when attempting to set up the network connection?. I'm trying to connect to the webif control panel previously installed to the humax's Hard Drive. I'm assuming that this is the same as the CF initial start page?.

Sorry BH, the cable I'm using is the crossover one as mentioned by af123. I was trying to setup as per your instructions on the previous page. I'm using IE in Windows 7. I can set manual IP and netmask as shown on the Humax but of course can't apply them as all I get is a 'network cable is unplugged' message, despite the fact that it is connected. The initial problem seems to be that the cable is not recognised by windows when attached to the laptop's ethernet port. I've also had a 'not connected, no connections available' message on the laptop when attempting to set up the network connection?. I'm trying to connect to the webif control panel previously installed to the humax's Hard Drive. I'm assuming that this is the same as the CF initial start page?.

Okay, I take it you have installed CF 2.11 and you get a "CF 2.11" on the front panel display when you boot, and then when your browser (successfully!) connects you will get the download page from the minimal Web Interface.

Sounds like you have something wrong with the cable, or failing that something wrong with the Humax or PC's Ethernet port. Can you verify the cable elsewhere? Is the PC's Ethernet turned off in the BIOS or something? Can you try another PC?

Information as requested for Black Hole.

On your HDR-FOX bring up the Internet Settings page and report here exactly what it says.

Configure IP DHCP
IP Adress 192.0.2.100
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address 0.0.0.0
DNS Address 0.0.0.0
On your PC open a command console (click Start and enter "cmd"), type "ipconfig" and report exactly what it says.

Windows IP ConfigurationMicrosoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Users\User>"ipconfig"
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Hope this helps!
Thanks.
UKJ.

Sounds like you have something wrong with the cable, or failing that something wrong with the Humax or PC's Ethernet port. Can you verify the cable elsewhere? Is the PC's Ethernet turned off in the BIOS or something? Can you try another PC?

Back