Interference on 17th/18th December

EEPhil

Number 28
Owing to current home circumstances, I've only just reviewed some programmes recorded on 17/18 December. All programmes on a number of channels (BBC4, BBC2HD, CBS Justice, Talking Pictures and possibly more) were subject to continuous interference. I'm sorry, I can't give a start and end time for that interference. My transmitter is Waltham, and I live near to Edwalton in Nottinghamshire. I wonder if anybody in the nearby area who gets pictures from Waltham could comment. The reason for my concern is that paramedics attended my house at 23:30 on 17th leaving (without a patient, fortunately) at 02:00 on 18th. They spotted an odd trace on the ECG and wanted me to unplug a nearby lamp (that was off) thinking that was interfering with the leads. It may be that there was some very local interference from a nearby neighbour - but I've never seen that before. Is anybody aware of any "natural phenomenon" that could have caused interference on those days?

What looked like continuous impulsive interference. On StdDef channels picutures breaking into squares almost continously for perhaps a whole day. On HiDef it's more difficult to define.

We had some interference yesterday, ir stopped a recording from starting. Just bands across the screen, though.

It will be the muppets trying 5g out.

The other day, right in the middle of watching something, someone's telephone conversation broke in on sound. Is that even possible? Would a Freeview box use the same codecs and transmission as a telephone?

On Waltham here as well and we didn't have any issues although we hardly ever record SD, and HD is a bit more robust. Couldn't tell you the last time we saw any sort of interference.

We have a logarithmic aerial in the loft so the signal is attenuated quite a bit, but on a good day we can see the transmitter so it's line of sight for the aerial apart from the roof tiles, so if Waltham was on reduced power for any reason we probably would have still got a decent enough signal.

HD is actually less robust than SD.
What you actually mean is DVB-T2 is more/less robust than DVB-T.
IME, they are virtually indistinguishable - the margin between one working and the other not is very small, and probably depends on more variables than just the modulation scheme.

What you actually mean is DVB-T2 is more/less robust than DVB-T.
IME, they are virtually indistinguishable - the margin between one working and the other not is very small, and probably depends on more variables than just the modulation scheme.
In my experience HD channels are more likely to suffer from interference than SD,
We have woodlands on the other side of the road and have the aerial mounted on a mast at the peak of the roof.

Back