Intermittent muting problem

Bluesman

Like many on these forums I use the 'skip' button to get rid of adverts when watching a recorded programme.
On two occasions over the last week I have performed a 'skip' followed by a 'pause', only to find that the recording is muted on resumption of play. Normal service has been resumed by switching the T2 to standby, then switching back on again. Attempts to recreate this problem have been unsuccessful, so it seems it really is intermittent. Has anyone else had this problem?

Yup. Channel 5 definitely, and possibly Channel 4 as well.
Sometimes rewinding it to before the start of the adverts and pressing play brings the sound back; sometimes not.
If it does, you can spool through the ads. rather than skip through them and the sound stays OK. Sometime if you skip, the sound is OK, sometimes not.
Sometimes the only way out is to reboot it, especially annoying if you're recording, as it stops you from watching anything otherwise.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Happened to us once a few months ago. But only the once so far. I assumed it was an HDMI thing as most bad things seem to come back to this.

I don't remember which channel, though I suspect it might have been 5. And I don't recall how far we had to go to get the sound back - either standby or reboot. The returning to before the ads is a useful one to try if it happens again.

I suppose this has something to do with audio stream format changes between programme and adverts and the embedded command strings necessary to make the player track them.

If it is to do with the audio stream format changes then presumably it only occurs on HD channel recordings.
Has anybody had the problem on SD?

I've seen this once on my HD model (firmware 1.02.31) - don't remember the channel but it must have had adverts!

Thanks for the responses; I'll monitor things to see if it happens on specific channels, programmes, etc. and keep you posted.

Well, I've monitored the situation over the past month, and now the problem doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Hmm!

Finally, after experimenting on various channels, the only time the muting occurs is when the '5' ident appears at either the start or end of the 'skip'.
Hey ho.

Back