Intermittent 'pip' sound...

Wallace

Traveler 34122
This is a weird one, and one I am having difficulty in narrowing down.

When watching live TV or a recording via either of my HDRs, I get an intermittent 'pip' sound. It's quite high frequency and of very short duration. The picture does not seem to be affected in any way.

It does not seem to happen when watching TV directly. I.E. not via either HDR, nor does it seem to happen on any other TV in the house.

All the televisions and HDRs are fed via amplifying splitter from the same aerial. At first I thought that it could be from 4G break through, but it is still happening with an official at800 4G filter fitted.

My signal strength is 70-75% on all MUXs with 100% signal quality, again, on all MUXs.

I honestly cannot remember this happening before I updated the FW from 1.03.11 to 1.03.12, but I cannot be 100% sure. One thing I do know is that it only appears to be affecting the two HDRs.

FWIW. I have a Bose Solo TV sound unit connected to the TV via an optical link. I would think that if that unit was faulty, I would also get the 'pip' sound when watching TV via the TV's tuner.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edit: I have downgraded the FW on one of the HDRs one step to 1.03.11 (CF2.22). I will use that unit tonight and see if I still get the 'problem'.

Edit, edit: The downgrade didn't stop it. I'm still hearing the 'pip' sound randomly.

Weird.

Ha. If only. It is most probably signal related. As yet I have not ruled out the amp. That is my next port of call.

Getting a little tired of this 'must post with perfect grammar' malarky. Whilst I appreciate that good grammar and spelling is a bonus and a must for many occasions, not everyone has mastered them.

I agree with that, just as long as the forum doesn't degrade to the incomprehensibility of some of the other forums I frequent!

Getting a little tired of this 'must post with perfect grammar' malarky. Whilst I appreciate that good grammar and spelling is a bonus and a must for many occasions, not everyone has mastered them.

Message received, Wellace. :rolleyes:

aardvark.png

Reactions: aw1
Just as an update, if anyone is interested. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have ruled out that the HDRs are in any way causing the problem.

I was watching iPlayer a couple of nights ago via my Roku3, and I still had random 'pips' in the sound stream.

It got me wondering about the way I had the audio 'wired-up'. My TV is used as a monitor, so everything I watch is via an external source, but always via HDMI. I have a Bose Solo sound box that is connected to the TV via TOS link. Obviously, the TV speakers are turned off (set to external). I wondered if the problem could be with either the TV or Bose unit even though both are less than 12 months old.

Fortunately, the Bose unit has a choice if connections, optical, coax and good old analogue (phono). As an experiment, I disconnected the optical link and connected the TV and Bose via analogue (headphone socket on the TV to the phono connectors on the Bose).

The result: no more 'pip', at least not for the couple of days I have had the units connected this way.

Looking a bit deeper into this, it appears my TV has had an automatic firmware update, and it could be around that time that we started with the sound problem. I have tried to 'downgrade' the firmware, but do not seem to be able to.

I have hardly notice a difference in sound quality going from optical to phono, and as the audio no longer suffers from the 'pip', I am reasonably happy for now.

Of course if it was this update, it doesn't necessarily mean that the TV is at fault as such, it could have highlighted a problem with the Bose.

I suppose I could connect the optical port of the Bose directly to another sound source, I.E. one of my HDRs, but for now I will leave alone as I have other more pressing things to do.

Waffle end....

Back