Internet Radio on Portal - Limited Choice

golfcity

Am using a networked Fox without an aerial and finally got round to setting up favourites on the Internet Radio app on the portal and disappointed that the only BBC stream appears to be World Service. Appreciate the Humax goes to other markets but surely UK sales volumes merit inclusion of BBC R1 to R6 etc.? Anyone else relying on the Internet Radio app? Have stations been added over time?

It is entirely up to the BBC what it decides to make available as an Internet Radio feed.

How have you managed to get the TV Portal working without an aerial - custom firmware and ntpclient?

.....fair question! Tried to avoid clouding the issue but here goes.....I am in Spain and using the Fox to stream recorded content from two Foxsats via home network. Works a treat. The Fox is situated nowhere near an aerial point. I have used a 15m temporary lead to connect to an aeriel point in another room in order to 'fire up' the portal, then disconnected the lead leaving the portal active. (If the power fails then I will have to repeat this process). You will be asking why I'm not using the NTP/Forcedate apps in the CFW. I flashed the Fox to 2.13 but was unable to load the WebIF. It returned a string of error messages which looked like it could be to do with the fact that the Fox was tuned to a Spanish EPG as opposed to the UK Freeview channels?
So I was hoping to use the Fox Portal radio for BBC channels via internet. Nevertheless at least Radio Paradise is available!

It is entirely up to the BBC what it decides to make available as an Internet Radio feed.

I assume a decision was made at some level to block BBC internet feeds on the Humax in favour of iPlayer. Presumably, iPlayer radio, like video, is unavailable in Spain. It seems an odd decision: all BBC radio output is available wordwide to anyone with an internet radio or suitable PC software, so why block it on the Humax?

Hello, Fenlander,
Thanks for your comments. Just checked this out. On the Foxsat iPlayer, there is no radio option. The Fox iPlayer does have radio, but sadly like TV it's unavailable (presumably outside UK although it doen't state this). I got sooo exitied for a moment. What I'm doing is recording radio on the Foxsat and playing it back on the Fox, so I get radio in the kitchen! This home networking's getting addictive!!

I flashed the Fox to 2.13 but was unable to load the WebIF. It returned a string of error messages which looked like it could be to do with the fact that the Fox was tuned to a Spanish EPG as opposed to the UK Freeview channels?

I'm sure af123 will be able to cure that for you!

There would be no point in Humax adding the other BBC Radio channels as they have their own dedicated channels in the Freeview EPG.
The box was not designed to be used outside of the UK.

When I read this thread this morning I thought the answers were off beam.

Basically the Humax portal internet radio application gives you the "VTuner" MP3 radios [been reported elsewhere and probably even on this site]. There is a VTuner website, you see the MP3 stations, the WMA etc. The BBC transmits via internet all of the domestic ones in WMA plus there are also AAC feeds available. VTuner shows you the WMA ones, but when you use the VTuner portal via the Humax which is what it is, you only access the MP3 ones.

Thus the issue is that the Humax packaging of the portal only gives you the MP3 stations and the BBC in their wisdom apart from the World Service don't use them. Not really a Humax problem re the BBC but a Humax problem in that they only support MP3.Support WMA and AAC and we would be even more delighted.

The other slight stumbling block is that the VTuner provider will support access to main provider feeds but will not support minor feeds on capacity grounds. VTuner kindly extended their system to some providers that I suggested and they became available via the Humax portal but would not give me the Australia ABC network MP3 feeds since these were not the main feeds and could not support mass use. You fill in a VTuner suggestion box if you find stations that you want them to add to the VTuner list. If they reckon they have capacity to be accessed by their user base they add them, but if they don't then they won't add them. More the Ozzy stations I wanted they supported the WMA but not MP3 and were not prepared to add the MP3 ones due to capacity issues with the feed.

I would dearly like to see another internet radio offering via the portal via you chaps if such a Linux version exists that can be levered into the Humax or alternatively Humax could be hassled to support internet radio other than MP3 which is the issue which leads to the BBC being missing and all other WMA and AAC stations from the WWW via the VTuner web site has but not supported via the Humax portal app.

I trust that is helpful.

If you read "MP3" for "Internet Radio" in my original reply that's more or less what I said.

The codecs in the HD/HDR-FOX are hardware based; we could (possibly) access alternative streams via the custom portal, but with no access to the hardware codecs I don't think there is enough processing power to convert the streams to audio - and nowhere for the audio to go having done it. The hardware codecs support AAC, but if the standard portal refuses to take them that's no use.

Back