Interpreting SMART Details - Hitachi

Luke

Well-Knwοn Мember
Rather than clutter a recent similar discussion concerning Seagate HDDs this thread concerns the SMART data for a Hitachi HDD that I've just installed in an HDR-FOX T2.
The 2TB Hitachi HDD was sourced from a Sky recorder.
The Power_Cycle_Count is 350, while the Power-Off_Retract_Count is 6908. Any ideas on how the Power_Cycle_Count and Power-Off_Retract_Count could become so different when used in a Sky recorder?
Looking at various posts on-line concerning these two fields, Hitachi doesn't appear to use them any differently than other makes. I also have another Hitachi from the same model series that was from a Toshiba recorder and that Hitachi HDD has Power_Cycle_Count = Power-Off_Retract_Count.

1662626244035.png1662626327949.png

Maybe it was in a power saving mode, or spun down by the software in the $ky box.
Does it track now?
You can experiment with stuff like this on the T2 using the hdparm utiltity, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless the disk/contents are of no importance. You would need to do it from maintenance mode with the filesystems unmounted.

Why the repost?

EDITED
The main question has been removed from this post as the thread immediately turned into a thread about the wording of the add on question.
A separate thread has been started for just the main question.
Oh. I see. The question to be asked is whether the discussion went outside the bounds of the thread title. It didn't. Maybe you need to edit the thread title(s) to something more suitable.

Maybe it was in a power saving mode, or spun down by the software in the $ky box.
Doh! Now you've said it, that appears feasible. I know that Sky boxes didn't use to power down as much as some other recorders but that they possibly spin down while keeping the power on

Does it track now?
Yes, but I didn't experiment for that long. I will have a couple of other discarded Sky boxes that I'm going to try to make use of their HDD, but that is probaly going to have to wait till Christmas. to see if they are similar.

You can experiment with stuff like this on the T2 using the hdparm utiltity, but I wouldn't really recommend it unless the disk/contents are of no importance. You would need to do it from maintenance mode with the filesystems unmounted.
Thanks. I was going to WEEE bin my other recovered Hitachi AV drive as I can hear it working, I'll keep it now in case I want to experiment with the idle commands at Christmas.

Last edited:
Back