iOS 13 Has Broken "Reply"

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Using Safari in iPadOS 13.1.2: in a forum thread, highlight a section of text in a post and the "+Quote | Reply" hover context menu appears. "+Quote" still works, but "Reply" doesn't.

Most likely to be a XenForo issue rather than a Hummy forums issue, does it occur on other XenForo forums

Could be rubbish iOS 13. It has caused a load of other problems re WiFi and dashcams.

iOS13 has certainly screwed up a lot of stuff according to the wisdom of the bit of the web that I frequent.

iOS13 has certainly screwed up a lot of stuff
To put it in proportion: my iPad still works, and works well with just a few glitches and UI tweaks that take a little getting used to when the user is steeped in the previous screen taps. But the faults I have found and have been reported show that iPadOS 13.1.2 is still a work in progress rather than a finished product, and maybe it shouldn't have been released on the general public without a bit more testing and feedback - particularly from app developers.

My most serious complaint (and inconvenience) is that Dolphin crashes on start-up. Why? It does not seem unreasonable that a new OS release maintains support for existing apps, except when those apps are somehow dependent on deprecated features. I see no reason that should be the case with Dolphin, unless it is somehow non-compliant and iOS12 was more tolerant of that than iPadOS13.

Click low (displaced click area). So, why the heck should "+Quote" and "Reply" behave differently - regardless of an iOS update???
Idea: what if Xenforo has a specific tweak in it to correct for strange iOS behaviour, which it no longer needs with iOS13?

Yes! Click low (displaced click area). So, why the heck should "+Quote" and "Reply" behave differently - regardless of an iOS update???
Be specific. They are meant to behave differently. Or do you mean they behave differently on iOS13 compared with previous versions of iOS?

How specific do I need to be?
Using Safari in iPadOS 13.1.2: in a forum thread, highlight a section of text in a post and the "+Quote | Reply" hover context menu appears. "+Quote" still works, but "Reply" doesn't.
Ah! It can work, but that was at about the dozenth attempt. No such problem with +Quote. Maybe there is a very small screen area to click on?
Yes! Click low (displaced click area). So, why the heck should "+Quote" and "Reply" behave differently - regardless of an iOS update???

There's a new version of Xenforo out today which includes these in the release notes:

Code:
Back out of a few older iOS workarounds which seem to only be applicable to very
old versions of iOS related to inputs within fixed elements in order to fix some
issues these cause with iOS 13.
Fix an issue with fixed menu positioning on Safari when scrolling.

I'll apply the update later today.

FWIW: Still the same. The "sweet spot" on the reply hover is so slim that it is easy to not register the click and end up with the button disappearing and no action.

Back