IP addresses for YouView update

I really would expect that (with Internet connected) there ought to be traffic associated with a manual software update request.

Only having done this kind of thing maybe once and so long ago I can't remember... presumably you have some kind of filtering set up in WireShark so it isn't capturing a whole load of hay within which to look for the needle? If so, just an observation: be careful you are not throwing out the needle with the hay.

LOL...already thought of that and removed my Capture filter. Just displaying anything with the Humax IP address. The crazy thing is that those thumbnails come down more or less in real-time. You start recording a programme and you will see a thumbnail for it in Recorded.

Posted up on the Wire Shark forum and the answer came back very quickly. Rather than use a switch as had been suggested by a colleague, a hub is needed et voila....all sorts of goodies come into view. I've captured a load of stuff and need to disect it. But at first glance I can see a few YouView addresses.

Yes, the main difference between a hub and a switch is that a hub is "dumb" and just extends the network and all its traffic, whereas a switch learns what destinations are on what port and only sends relevant traffic to each port.

Moral: when you're not getting data captures, check your methodology!

Mmmm.. my router has various access profiles that I can set-up. I have one that blocks the YouView URL. When I assign my Mac to that access profile and try to access YouView, it is blocked. Yet assigning the Humax to the same access profile, it isn't. I can still see packets going back and forth.

Question...when is a firewall not a firewall ? Answer...when you're using a Fritz!Box 7530 router.

The firewall in the Fritz!Box is not a true firewall. Yes, you can add a website to the Blocked Websites list. You can assign that to an Access Profile. You can then assign that Access Profile to a specific computer. Trying to access that website in a browser does indeed give you a message saying that access has been blocked.

Um…not quite true. What the Fritz!Box has done is simply block any HTTP getting passed on to your browser. It still allows all communication to the so-called blocked website to take place! Wire Shark shows it happening! So if you have a device such as a Humax PVR that accesses YouView for, say, updates….trying to apply the above restriction fails. 0/10

Pity as the rest of the Fritz!Box stuff is very, very good.

Back