iPhone 4S videos stretched on HDR

parish

If I play video shot on my iPhone 4S on my HDR either by putting it on a USB stick, or streaming through Serviio on my Ubuntu box or MacBook Pro, the HDR stretches it vertically even though it is full HD (1920x1080) video.

I've found that the Display Format (the WIDE button) affects this. I have the format set to Zoom by default so 4:3 programmes are stretched to fill the screen (which I prefer to having black bars). If I switch this to Auto then the iPhone videos are displayed correctly. It appears that when the format is set to Zoom that the videos are being stretched vertically to create a 4:3 image (cropped top and bottom).

Any idea why this should be as the files are 1920x1080 and HD (and even widescreen SD) TV is displayed correctly when format is set to Zoom.

OK, so it's no big deal to press the WIDE button a couple of times, but it seems strange that the HDR can't recognize the size of the image.

It could be that the video streams are not tagged with their original aspect ratio, and the Humax presumes them to be 4:3.

It could be that the video streams are not tagged with their original aspect ratio, and the Humax presumes them to be 4:3.

I see what you're saying, but in that case surely it would stretch it both vertically and horizontally thus retaining the aspect ratio, i.e. circles would still be round? Perhaps I didn't make it clear that it is stretching vertically only, not horizontally, so circles appear as ovals.

No, the 1920x1080 frame is 16:9, so to make that fill a 4:3 frame it would be stretched vertically.

Back