iPlayer broken on HDR Fox T2?

Owen Smith

I tried to use BBC iPlayer on my parents' HDR Fox T2 over Christmas. This is with CF 3.13 plus the IPLFix package but that should give the same results as the current issued Humax firmware. It didn't work, video played for less than a second and several seconds of audio played while the front panel displayed CRASH and counted down to reboot. I put it down to my parents' change to a cheap ISP (PlusNet). Now I'm back home I get the same on my box on the ISP I've been using for over a decade.

So is this it? Is iPlayer permanently broken on the HDR Fox T2? Or do other people have it working and I need to work out what is different at myself and my parents? I was expecting to find a thread about this on hummy.tv and I'm surprised to see nothing.

I put it down to my parents' change to a cheap ISP (PlusNet).
Really? What an odd conclusion to draw. How does an ISP matter? It's the same data regardless. Perhaps you like yours gold-plated?
Now I'm back home I get the same on my box on the ISP I've been using for over a decade.
Quelle surprise.
So is this it? Is iPlayer permanently broken on the HDR Fox T2?
It looks like it. I'm sure somebody (probably /df) alluded to it somewhere.

Really? What an odd conclusion to draw. How does an ISP matter? It's the same data regardless. Perhaps you like yours gold-plated?
Despite my best efforts my dad does strange things with his broadband. If it is possible to break it my dad will manage it. Usually he does things like trying to turn the wifi off because it means the router will consume less power (maybe, maybe not) but the results of his tinkering are unpredictable. I keep backup copies of working config files for his router.

I like my broadband reliable. It's years since I changed any of the setup. OK maybe I should have said my dad's broadband tinkering, but he had recently change ISP and I have no history with PlusNet.

For the somewhat savvy user there is qtube but your use case might be better met by some low-end streaming box, or a DVD/Blu-ray player that supports streaming apps (eg Sony).
My 9 year old Sony smart TV turned into a dumb TV a couple of years ago (and no further firmware updates). Shame, it was much better at BBC iPlayer than the HDR Fox T2.

I have a Roku 4 box which works great for all other streaming services but because it was never a UK product the BBC deliberately prevent iPlayer from working on it to prevent people using VPNs. There are better ways of preventing that, I'm a licence fee payer and I'm trying to use hardware I purchased legally, and it's really annoying that the BBC prevents me.

I require a Blu Ray player that plays multi-channel (up to 5.1) SACDs and DVD-Audio with analogue audio outs since my amp doesn't do HDMI audio. There are precious few of those these days (maybe none), chances of finding one with BBC iPlayer that works is approximately zero. My Oppo 95 does the job admirably except with no iPlayer.

The Blu Ray player, Roku 4, and two HDR Fox T2s consume all my TV's HDMI inputs. So even if I bought a cheap streaming dongle I have nowhere to plug it in.

The whole situation is a bummer. I have three pieces of hardware all of which should run iPlayer (TV, Humax, and Roku) and none do.

Buy a firestick, works perfectly for me, it's a great piece of kit. I'm currently using it abroad with a VPN.

There is nothing wrong with PlusNet. I’ve been using it for years. It is owned by BT. Mine is rock solid.

I like my broadband reliable. It's years since I changed any of the setup. OK maybe I should have said my dad's broadband tinkering, but he had recently change ISP and I have no history with PlusNet.
I have been using Plusnet for years and in my experience the service is reliable. The advantage of Plusnet is that their support staff are UK based and you can engage with them via the Plusnet forum and get things resolved in a sensible way compared to the shambles of the overseas support staff used by companies like Talktalk (it is a long time since I realised the error of my ways and left Talktalk).

Really? What an odd conclusion to draw. How does an ISP matter? It's the same data regardless.
Is not that daft actually. I know that my ISP has is own servers in local exchanges which (among other things I imagine) are used to provide local copies of popular stuff on Netflix for example.
So how an ISP handles that sort of thing for iPlayer could be a factor in some cases.

Back