iplayer makes the box crash

mihaid

Three times the box crashed when I was playing a programme. Is there some logging which may explain or throw some light on the issue?

Yep, it does it for me too. The only time iPlayer works is after a reboot (or crash!). Don't hold your breath waiting for Humax to fix it or provide any logging.

Sometimes it crashes, before even getting to iPlayer, while the portal is loading; more often it crashes just as a programme is being loaded. I have seen this now on both old and new hardware units running either custom kernel 3.03 or standard kernel 1.03.12. I have also seen reports on myhumax.org of similar on the HDR-2000T, but it seems less common on this model.
I only use iPlayer on the HDR-FOX now if it is something I want to download for later viewing and never while a recording is ongoing.

Sometimes it crashes, before even getting to iPlayer, while the portal is loading
Yes, that too. Press the button, get the spinner for a couple of seconds, then it goes away for another 10-20 seconds, then the screen goes black and it reboots.
I only use iPlayer on the HDR-FOX now if it is something I want to download for later viewing and never while a recording is ongoing.
I've never trusted it while it's recording, nor anything else actually.

Version 3 of iPlayer (the previous version that still had iPlayer radio) was always rock solid. This also ran on 1.03.x firmware (Opera browser). They do make changes to the V4 app in the background though. The first iteration had horrible laggy menus. This got fixed, as did the annoying bug that made the screen redraw after loading, a while later. They have also introduced live streaming. I'm sure that the propensity to crash has varied over time too, but this is based on my vague recollections.

Ditto, although I have had less trouble lately. One of my HDRs is primarily used for iPlayer and YouTube downloads (the only one running 1.03.xx).

Sometimes it crashes, before even getting to iPlayer, while the portal is loading; more often it crashes just as a programme is being loaded. I have seen this now on both old and new hardware units running either custom kernel 3.03 or standard kernel 1.03.12. I have also seen reports on myhumax.org of similar on the HDR-2000T, but it seems less common on this model.
Which is exactly what I did unwittingly. I have used the iplayer now and then but never realised it causes the crashes. I lost some part of a recording but it didn't matter. I'm sure that I did that before without crashing though.

It doesn't always crash, it's just a gamble. As I have noted previously, some events on the network trigger exceptions that the Humax code does not handle properly. That it works at all indicates normal network traffic is handled properly.

If we knew what the fault events are, it might be possible to filter them out.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever noticed iPlayer giving trouble, although my box does seem to have crashed twice since I've installed the CF a few months back. My daughter uses iPlayer on it a lot - must ask her if it ever fails...

Perhaps it could be debugged if somebody who can readily trigger the failures runs tcpdump, combined with someone for whom it runs without issues?
Or is the Humax soon to join all those other machines which can't run iPlayer any more due to them changing the protocol? If so, hardly worth bothering!

When I get the iPlayer crash the HDR-FOX T2 frezzes for 5 seconds. The front display has REBOOTING IN 5, REBOOTING IN 4, REBOOTING IN 3, REBOOTING IN 2, REBOOTING IN 1. Is that coming from the native software?

Last edited:
If you are having a problem with iPlayer crashing, you could try the following:
Access the Hidden Menu from the System Information screen, select the option to delete cookie and DRM data and then reboot. A reboot is needed to regenerate the file/ database: the first time I reset the cookie and DRM data I did not reboot, and my scheduled recordings failed until I did.
I have done this on three units now (about 10 days ago), both original and RE hardware types. On two of the three machines, the portal crashed during the first attempt to load it after the reset. Since then there have been no crashes on loading the portal. I have also had no crashes using iPlayer: I have used iPlayer at least five times on each now without any issues. Of course, this could just be a coincidence so try it out if you have had the same problem, and let us know how you get on.

What have cookies and DRM got to do with scheduled recordings?
I don't know. I do know that when I reset the cookie and DRM data without rebooting, two scheduled recordings failed: just hmt files were created and selecting these entries in the SUI gave the error message 'recording failed: unknown reason'. Both programmes were transmitted at the correct time. I rebooted and then it was fine. I don't know exactly what cookie and DRM data is stored and how the HDR-FOX uses that data. I do know that if you delete it, the file/ database is not regenerated until you reboot. When you clear the data, the tuner briefly cuts out and if you repeat the operation, you then get an error message stating that the storage could not be formatted.

. I have also had no crashes using iPlayer: I have used iPlayer at least five times on each now without any issues. Of course, this could just be a coincidence so try it out if you have had the same problem, and let us know how you get on.
since my reporting earlier I have used the iplayer for at least 5 times without crashing. when someone else here tried the iplayer I saw the box crash . so very much like a hit or miss issue.

since my reporting earlier I have used the iplayer for at least 5 times without crashing. when someone else here tried the iplayer I saw the box crash . so very much like a hit or miss issue.
Did you reset the cookie and DRM data? I did and have had no crashes in iPlayer since (on three different boxes). I can't be certain that this is not a coincidence so I was hoping that people would report if they are still having problems, reset the cookie and DRM data and then monitor and post again if this improves/ does not improve the situation.

Back