iPlayer / QTube recent issue?

Yes, that was my assumption - hence my caution at interpreting what I appeared to be seeing. But maybe someone more expert than me might be able to double-check. Thanks.

But maybe someone more expert than me might be able to double-check.
Not a bad idea. Maybe Wireshark could reveal something useful, and maybe diverted through a proxy service to filter out whatever's killing it.

I had another try with iPlayer via TV Portal last night, and it got so far as loading the user interface. I have a poor memory for things like that, but so far as I can tell the interface is different now. Nonetheless, I was able to navigate to the latest series of Top Gear and (try) to play last week's episode.

It then crashed within a few seconds of playback, but there was definitely some playback before the crash, and I would ascribe the crash as my flakey broadband rather than anything at the BBC end. I then resorted to qtube, which took two hours...

I had another try with iPlayer via TV Portal last night, and it got so far as loading the user interface. I have a poor memory for things like that, but so far as I can tell the interface is different now. Nonetheless, I was able to navigate to the latest series of Top Gear and (try) to play last week's episode.

It then crashed within a few seconds of playback, but there was definitely some playback before the crash, and I would ascribe the crash as my flakey broadband rather than anything at the BBC end. I then resorted to qtube, which took two hours...
I tried the same test with the same result: i.e. successful (but very slow) access to the Humax Portal and iPlayer user interfaces; successful initiation of playback; followed a few seconds later by a system crash. It happened several times with different programmes. I have no reason to question the reliability of my broadband at the moment.

I had another look myself. I agree the iPlayer user interface seems to be a little different and even slower to start, however sadly the end result was the same, as soon as you start to display a program with the iPlayer app the system turns up its toes and restarts. So back to qtube, or a handy little PC app equivalent to qtube that exists on github, which runs quite a bit faster on a modern PC than youtube-dll on the sluggish Humax box.

I think it's not fibre we're talking about. In his case he had 3mbs speed for nigh on ten years. Something would/should have happened

Back