iPlayer stopped working?

On my first install it did not initially work either and still wasn't working a couple of days later.

What I did that finally got that initial install working was:
First - Reset cookie data via the hidden menu - https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Hidden_Settings_Menu, - but no joy
Second - reboot as per Black Holes suggestion, - but no joy
Third - Switch to standby and then switch power off for about a minute while I went to do something else, - bingo.
So, I've tried all that and still no joy.

Maybe it takes a few days to cook.

EDIT:
I just noticed my Humax Version is: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.10) whereas it seems the latest version may be (IS): HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.12_mod_3.13

Will this make a difference??

Last edited:
I was able to watch "The Fall" S2E1 using iplhack to access iPlayer via the Humax Portal this afternoon on one of my HD-Foxes, at the third attempt; on the first try, the set-top program (in this case acting as a web browser) crashed; on the second I got no further than the "loading" screen.

The success may indicate why I didn't respond to @JerryL1947 before: thanks to @Luke for the instructions (notes: #4 HD-Fox shows "UPDA" and then turns off the disk when going into Standby).

This may just have been good luck as I repeatedly failed to play this show with another installation.

I found that I didn't get the BBC's "Humax is broken" prompt, nor the TV licence prompt, but inspecting the Opera cookie jar found at /var/lib/humaxtv/browser/cookies4.dat suggests that the iPlayer code may be stashing the responses (the www.bbc.co.uk cookie displayed by the linked tool needs decoding with the JS decodeURIComponent() function). I did have to claim to be over 16.

The BBC's page on the Humax certificate issue, linked previously, has vanished, but the BBC's list of Humax devices certified for iPlayer (starting with HD-Fox T2!) is here. The Humax page still says that the issue is being worked on.

I was able to... access iPlayer via the Humax Portal this afternoon on one of my HD-Foxes, at the third attempt; on the first try, the set-top program (in this case acting as a web browser) crashed; on the second I got no further than the "loading" screen.
Nothing unusual there - iplhack seems to be restoring normal functionality!

Any comment whether 3.12 is required (or at least not 3.10)?

I don't have any 3.10 FW installed or unpacked, but I can confirm that the dnsmasq installation, which is what iplhack uses, is part of the 3.12 OEM FW and not a CF addition; so it's probably in all 3.x versions, at least.

However the BBC could choose not to use iPlayer code that requires the cert to be valid (hint: ask http://securegate.iplayer.bbc.co.uk, and don't redirect it to https, or use open.live.bbc.co.uk, for the media selectors, instead of https://securegate.iplayer.bbc.co.uk).

Last edited:
SUCCESS :)

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware (Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13) ) as verified by the webif Diagnostics panel and started the TV Portal, loaded I-Player and it runs.
It might. 3.10 is very old, and could potentially not include hooks which iplhack relies on (directly or indirectly).
My philosophy is "let sleeping dogs lie" or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" So until I-Player was broke it didn't need fixing but when it did, I was sure to get help here.

Thank you for running an excellent friendly forum, your help is much appreciated and I hope these last few posts, particularly from Black Hole and Luke will help others.

Wishing all a better 2021 and that it stops snowing soon ;)

Jerry

iplhack being a beta package puts me off installing it. I have iPlayer on my Sony TV and it works reliably, unlike the HDR Fox T2 version. It's only my parents that need it, and I like to keep their HDR Fox T2 on reliable proven firmware. A beta package doesn't give that impression. Is a different work around being considered that keeps this a beta?

No, it's a service to users since the developer (c'est moi) has only limited testing facilities but has learnt paranoia over a career of observing apparently bullet-proof code that turned out not to be.

If a stream of congratulatory messages had arrived on the lines of "Great work with iplhack, that really did the trick", I would have been incentivised to push for the package to be put in the main repo, or equally if someone had been unable to make it work (as "reliably" as the iPlayer app "worked" before) I would have been able to help debug it. The inbox is bare on both fronts.

However, you can rest easy since "all that's being done" is to force the local DNS proxy (part of the OEM configuration) to resolve securegate.iplayer.bbc.co.uk to one of the IP addresses of open.live.bbc.co.uk, and if you or your parents did find this unsatisfactory you could just uninstall it and get back to the original state. Of course if you have a long round-trip for support calls, you might be less keen.

A beta package doesn't give that impression.
That's not really fair, and the migration out of beta into mainstream is very slow. Anyone who can benefit from running a beta package should do so, particularly after it's been released long enough to get forum comments if there are problems... and I don't think any have been raised for iplhack. Another data point is always welcome.

Is a different work around being considered that keeps this a beta?
What do you mean - a different solution from iplhack? No.

Unless (and until) Humax get their act together and roll out a new certificate, which will involve some kind of firmware update which I earnestly do not believe they will bother with for an out-of-support unit (others don't believe me, somehow living in a cloud cuckooland that Humax have a vested interest in spending money on out-of-support units), or until the BBC drop their certification requirements for streaming to set-top boxes, the only solution is to redirect the Portal calls from the Humax intermediary server to the non-STB general streaming URLs on iPlayer (which don't have certification requirements).

This is a kind of subterfuge which is likely to need to be adaptive, just as youtube-dl has to keep being updated to sidestep the evolving requirements at the server end.

You have a choice: some iPlayer functionality via TV Portal, or no iPlayer functionality. There's nothing to lose unless you think iplhack might somehow break the rest of the system, and there is no evidence for that assertion.

SUCCESS :)

I downloaded and installed the latest firmware (Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.13) ) as verified by the webif Diagnostics panel and started the TV Portal, loaded I-Player and it runs.
Did you have to install iplhack? You don't mention that here: but I believe it was already installed, and updating the FW doesn't change the installed packages.

The Wiki doesn't indicate anything that might have affected the operation of iplhack between CFW 3.10 and 3.13, but if you only tried the iPlayer app once or twice failures might just have been its natural flakiness.

Most of the discussion from #91 on should really be in the CF forum, or possibly even the beta forum.

Did you have to install iplhack? You don't mention that here: but I believe it was already installed, and updating the FW doesn't change the installed packages.

The Wiki doesn't indicate anything that might have affected the operation of iplhack between CFW 3.10 and 3.13, but if you only tried the iPlayer app once or twice failures might just have been its natural flakiness.

Most of the discussion from #91 on should really be in the CF forum, or possibly even the beta forum.
iplhack was already installed.

For me, I only found this thread through looking for iPlayer problem. If this information was moved elsewhere, would other "non-experts" like me, find it?

With respect to CFW 3.10 against 3.13, multiple attempts to run iPlayer on 3.10 failed but it ran first time on 3.13. QED

Absolutely not. As I have been saying so often, correlation may be indicative but it is certainly not "demonstrandum". The apparent correlation needs to be confirmed by many more examples (but there won't be many people running 3.10), or a plausible explanation found.

For me, I only found this thread through looking for iPlayer problem. If this information was moved elsewhere, would other "non-experts" like me, find it?
Search should find it whatever section of the forum it might have been in, but in any case we're only talking about the continuing discussion on a custom firmware theme. Keeping stuff where it is meant to be makes it easier to find!

iplhack was already installed.
Good to confirm, thx.
Presumably, you'd have found the earlier references, such as this. But this has become a bit of a franken-thread, including a lot of stuff that wouldn't be relevant to a stock FW hold-out, so I understand why you might not have done so.
With respect to CFW 3.10 against 3.13, multiple attempts to run iPlayer on 3.10 failed but it ran first time on 3.13. QED
That's very interesting, though as BH says not necessarily conclusive. Maybe some root certificates were updated between 3.10 and 3.13 without mentioning it in the release notes. Or was your CF 3.10 version based on an OEM 1.02.xx FW, which doesn't work with the current iPlayer site? Though that would have failed for years, rather than just since September.

Back