Beta [iplhack] BBC iPlayer resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the code in /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script, it looks like it's coming from your DHCP server actually, so presumably your router. You should check its config. (it appears to be setting 192.168.1.1 and 0.0.0.0)
OK, so when OP has DHCP, we see the entries written by udhcpc through the default.script. I wonder how the entries appear when DHCP isn't in use, presumably from the Humax settop program itself?

Diverting from topic, some observations regarding /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script:
  • OpenDNS and Google DNS servers are being added before the line that af claims: looks like a Humax mod: this one is the original for the relevant busybox version, while this is the latest (but wouldn't work with the CF /bin/sh that doesn't include a command built-in);
  • for some reason on my system $domain is being passed as "bad", causing an unwanted extra line.

In answer to some of the questions:

The Humax is using a wired connection.

Based on the code in /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script, it looks like it's [edit: 0.0.0.0] coming from your DHCP server actually, so presumably your router. You should check its config. (it appears to be setting 192.168.1.1 and 0.0.0.0)

I'm not sure where the 0.0.0.0 comes from but the 192.168.1.1 is probably the "DNS Address" entered in the manual LAN setup (the router IP).

My ISP recomends leaving the DNA Server entries blank in the router software, but the ISP also gives DNS IP addresses if one has to use them.

I've tried both options. When using the Humax Manual LAN configuration (i.e. not DHCP) both options return:

humax# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 0.0.0.0
nameserver 208.67.222.222

When I set Humax to DHCP and the router to use the DNS server addresses provided by my ISP (rather than leaving the fields blank, as I did originally) this is what is returned:

humax# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 212.104.130.9 <----- DNS Server entered in router
nameserver 212.104.130.65 <----- Secondary DNS Server entered in router
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

iplhack only seems to work when I use DHCP. That's fine - I can set a static IP for the Humax in the router.

I haven't previously had any problems with my manual LAN settings on the Humax (see post #10), but no matter - iPlayer is now resurrected for me too.

Many thanks to /df and everyone else.

It sounds like your router and 208.67.222.222 are not working well as DNS servers. Either that or 0.0.0.0 being present is upsetting the Humax. By using DHCP you've added more DNS servers and got rid of 0.0.0.0, and it isn't possible to tell which has fixed it.

127.0.0.1 is unlikely to do anything useful, that means the Humax is asking itself as a DNS server. Is it running one?

It sounds like your router and 208.67.222.222 are not working well as DNS servers. Either that or 0.0.0.0 being present is upsetting the Humax. By using DHCP you've added more DNS servers and got rid of 0.0.0.0, and it isn't possible to tell which has fixed it.
Possibly it needed both, but it at least needs to be DHCP based the behaviour of my 1.03.12 HDR-FOX T2.

On mine the HDR definitely needs to be DHCP, and after changing from Manual to DHCP then, despite the "cat /etc/resolv.conf" showing the additional nameservers, a reboot is required. I've now tried this a couple of times and get the same result i.e. that it needs to be DHCP, and that after changing from Manual to DHCP a reboot is required.

Surely that suggests you've not configured manual correctly. Configuring IP Address (click)
That describes the way that I configured Manual. Also changing from Manual to DHCP the other details on the HDR's Configure LAN screen have remained unchanged.

I have to say, what's being shown on this thread is a ludicrous number of DNS servers. One is sufficient if it is working properly, two are recommended for redundancy hence eg. google public DNS being on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Weird. How can something operating further down the line depend on how the configuration was arrived at earlier on, if the configuration is the same? It suggests the configuration isn't the same (in some subtle way), unless iplhack is dependent on running a DHCP at some point?

Perhaps the non-DHCP configuration was actually unable to route IP between the Humax and the public net.
127.0.0.1 is unlikely to do anything useful, that means the Humax is asking itself as a DNS server. Is it running one?
Defo. dnsmasq is a DNS proxy (even in the OEM firmware, IIRC) running on the box, and this enables the resurrection.
Weird. How can something operating further down the line depend on how the configuration was arrived at earlier on, if the configuration is the same? It suggests the configuration isn't the same (in some subtle way), unless iplhack is dependent on running a DHCP at some point?
What it's doing is tweaking the settings of dnsmasq, so that a request for one BBC domain actually returns the IP address of another BBC domain. Each domain is an alias that may resolve to any of a number of actual servers. In case any server and its corresponding IP addresses may be withdrawn from service, perhaps on rotation, iplhack regularly refreshes the mapping.

What is failing in OP's non-DHCP configuration is the step where it runs a DNS lookup to find that IP address, because the lookup is passed by dnsmasq to an invalid IP address. In that case, it should equally have failed to resolve the "one" domain when running iPlayer from the Humax Portal before the box's device certificate expired.

OK so if dnsmasq is running, what IP addresses is it using as DNS servers? I've run dnsmasq on a Pi in the past and given it a completely different set of DNS servers in its config file.

The servers are read from /etc/resolv.conf, which is a link to a file on the flash filesystem. Hence why I asked OP to list that file.

The canned /etc/dnsmasq.conf tells it to "try each query with each server strictly in the order they appear in /etc/resolv.conf". Other non-default DNS settings tell it to listen on 127.0.0.1 and not to read /etc/hosts.

In my test system (not the exact version from the repo), I see a failure mode in which the set-top program somehow ignores the local DNS proxy so that the spoofed reply is not received.

Possibly there's a race condition where the set-top program directs a look-up to 127.0.0.1 just when the system's instance of dnsmasq has been stopped and the iplhack instance hasn't been started, which might cause the set-top program to mark it as failed and select the first available server from the next two in the /etc/resolv.conf list; or perhaps there's some internal application-specific fall-back that's not exposed via the normal DNS configuration.

How do I install iplhack? I have my parents HDR Fox T2 showing advanced packages, and I was expecting to find something listed called beta packages or something like that. Nothing except betaftpd which seems like the wrong thing.

So can someone post some clear instructions on how to install this?

I admit I didn't spot that, and it is also possible you hadn't.

Not my intention. My intention was to direct readers to the information about using beta packages - including you. I see no reason to get shirty about it.

I had spotted this is in the sub-forum for beta packages.

But I still have not found this information about using beta packages that you claim to have directed people to. The link you gave was to the beta sub-forum which is just a list of topics. And this is already one of them.

Once again I have come to hummy.tv and you have attacked and insulted me. Is it any wonder I stay away unless I have a problem? Which then means I can't help others.

Once again I have come to hummy.tv and you have attacked and insulted me.
You think so? Please explain - all I have done is inform, and if you take information not directed at you specifically as "attack and insult" that is your problem not mine. Is it my problem you are overly sensitive?

But I still have not found this information about using beta packages that you claim to have directed people to.
A screen shot from the link I posted in post 36, "pinned threads" appear at the top of the thread listing (and highlighted in blue) for the purpose of providing important information, so in fact it is you insulting me:

1610378005323.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back