IPTV Channels

Shopps

What gives with the new IPTV Channels on 110, 111, & 112?

Channel 112 'Sports tonight' just says 'Attempting to start video' and does nothing else.

Channel 111 'Connect' say launching soon as it has done for a while now, but now seems to have a populated EPG containing details of programs from China??:confused:

Meanwhile VisionTV (Channel 110) is the same as it always has been.

Does anyone have any news on when these channels will become viewable??

Now that the Vision TV channels appear to be availible, and being a bit of an optimist chancer, I signed up via their web-site and then input the log-in details laboriously via the Hummy's remote.

From the Hummy's viewpoint, I seem to have signed in successfully and can navigate their screen but I'm getting 'Your subscription has expired' message from Tele 2 3 and 5 whilst France 24, reputed to be FTV is giving me a hopeful 'Press OK to view Fullscreen'. However, pressing 'OK' does nothing, and I'm in a Facebook dialogue with them to see if this can be resolved. At least, because their payments are via Paypal, I've been able to cancel the subscription fairly easily, admittedly at the cost of the first £4.99 which I'm prepared to write-off in the interest of research!

Pity really, I've moaned for ages that subscription TV caters quite well for a huge range of ethnic languages to serve an immigrant population within the UK but does nothing for those of us that want to keep up with our European languages.

We've already noted on other threads that they wont work as Humax need to update the firmware.
If you go to the Sports Tonight channel, and press Green then Blue, you'll see an updated debug message.
One of the lines says "NOT SUPPORTED" - this is for the video stream.

I see the IPTV space as an area for potentially massive growth as its a far cheaper method for delivering TV.
The only thing really holding it back is the device manufacturers support as the boxes/TVs that currently support it are fairly limited due to it being a new spec from last June that manufacturers do not have to support if they released their device prior to the spec being agreed.

I have personally communicated to Humax that to not support it with the HDR/HD T2 would be a big mistake on their part as not only would they be able to market the boxes as compatible and further boost sales, but to ignore it will only shorten the lifespan of the current devices due to other manufacturers devices that work, and they will annoy their current userbase that want this feature and have shelled out £200/300 for a "premium" device that is technically labelled as internet compatible due to the portal and would expect a feature as simple as this to work. Especially when you work in IT and know for a fact it is just a software issue - Humax just need to update the MHEG engine.

I strongly disagree with the stance Freeview have taken with legacy devices, because technically, Humax can market the box as FreeviewHD+ compliant, when infact it no longer is. So new customers are non the wiser that their purchase is now not fully compliant.

Sure enough, Humax will shortly have a new YouView box out (rumoured to be launching in May) that will support this out of the box aswell as far more advanced internet capabilities, but this will also attract its own premium price point.
Seeing as i've spend £300 on the HDR T2 and £100 on an HD T2, i'm hardly likely to upgrade to a YouView box in the immediate future am I. But leaving the current models with an unsupported element that can be resolved will hardly lead me to thinking about buying a Humax again when I do come to upgrade.

Humax also need to issue a statement and update anyway to acknowledge/resolve the 4gb streaming bug with the T2 models.

/rant over

EDIT: Humax have just secured a deal to rollout DVB-T2 equipment in Russia. Whats the betting they recycle the T2 models.
EDIT 2: I recommend you go over to myhumax.org, register and vote in [this] thread. Barry the admin, has a good relationship with Humax who apparently read that forum. Shame they don't actually reply anymore.

I see the IPTV space as an area for potentially massive growth as its a far cheaper method for delivering TV.

Does it not bother anybody else that widespread delivery of video entertainment by IP will crowd out other Internet services, and traffic priority shaping will make the normal low-bandwidth text browsing (eg email and forums) experience like it was in the bad old days of dial-up?

@Ezra: Just the usual, we will forward it on reply..
@Black Hole: Thats for ISP admins to sort out, but thats a bit of an extreme viewpoint. YouTube, iPlayer, LoveFilm, Netflix, ITV Player, 4OD, 5OnDemand, MUZU, UStream, Podcasts, and any other video streaming site you can think of already exist and command huge traffic and my connection is just dandy. But most ISPs are upgrading their infrastructure to cope with demand anyway which is something they would have to do eventually anyway as they accumulate more users. Demand for services like these forces the hand of ISPs to keep their networks as good as they can be so they don't loose custom - which is only a good thing for us, the consumers. You can't stop progress. Good luck if you want to.

I only said it bothers me. IPTV will be seen as a revenue stream and more traditional Internet uses (with zero profit) could fall by the wayside.

It already is seen as a revenue stream in some cases, but there will always be services that are offered for free that rely purely on site/banner advertising or even zero profit just to get their brand "out there". In any case, the internet will decide its own future.

Its the same as Sky/Virgin & Freeview. If you want exclusive stuff (movies, sports etc) then pay Murdoch or Branson, otherwise, there is still content available for free. You takes your choice.

Can you imagine Microsoft or Google ever charging you for accessing your emails? When that happens, you know they are about to go bust.

I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to watch TV via the internet in the first place.
(Outside of obvious non service areas)
It just seems to me like people are sayin, "I know - how can I make this simple task as complex and bug ridden as possible - I know I'll use a totally
incapable delivery system then start complaining about it"

1) It costs vasts amounts money to broadcast from a MUX
2) DTT has capacity issues
3) Streaming is not a complex science and has been around for years, its only starting to pick up momentum as people get better & faster internet connections.
4) Obviously its not for full time everyday use, as you would just crap out your broadband cap in a few days, its for shows/events and other stuff that the regular broadcasters would not show anyway.

Thanks for taking it on. At least we will find out for sure one way or the other.

Here's the reply I got from Vision - at least I got my fiver back.

"Hi Chris, hope you are fine.

I am contacting you in regards with your recent subscription to our Vision TV Network Telefrance Package that you have subscribed and in reply to your last message sent on Facebook.

Looking through our list of supported devices, your Humax Fox HDR-T2 box is not currently supported by our system, for this you will need a device that supports IC Streaming. This was a mandatory requirement for all Freeview devices from early 2011.

However, some manufacturers used concessions obtained from Freeview for their 2011 devices by testing them before this date.

We suggest, if you have a 2010 or 2011 model, that you contact your manufacturer to see if they will be adding IC Streaming to its capabilities. If not, please follow the link below to see a list of devices that we know do support ICS and do work with this growing number of new services:

http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices

I can also suggest to test your device with one of our free to view channels before subscribing in order to know if your device is compatible to our system.

We will be issuing a full refund for your TeleFrance subscription, if you need any further help, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly,

Kind regards

Carolina Cubria Bacre

Vision247™
97-101 Cleveland Street"

So now we know. If we ever do (and probably won't) get IC streaming it certainly makes good sense to see if the FTV channels work before subscribing, but given the fact that I was able to navigate right through to inputting my log-in details it was tempting to press on just in case.

Does it not bother anybody else that widespread delivery of video entertainment by IP will crowd out other Internet services, and traffic priority shaping will make the normal low-bandwidth text browsing (eg email and forums) experience like it was in the bad old days of dial-up?

Just to add to Black Hole's post...

A friend of mine has one of Sky's total packages - TV/BB/Phone. I have BB, and only BB, via Virgin (30mbps). We both share the same paid email service, 1and1.co.uk.
If I send him a text email, he receives it instantly (<1sec); if he sends me the same text email in return, I receive it in ~5 minutes. For clarity, I use Thunderbird, and he uses MS Outlook.
We have tried this experiment so many times, and the only time I get an email from him in what could be called a reasonable time (<1min) is around o300hrs on a Tuesday morning. So where does his pitiful bandwidth go, of which he normally has 2.3mbps at ~1800hrs on a Friday? I can only presume that emails aren't as time critical/sensitive as video or audio streaming.

As an side, Black Hole, I have been concerned about this for at least the last 15 years or so. I work in an area of mathematics used in computing, that is, I am a mathematician and my work attempts to solve computing problems. I am not a technologist; I am not a programmer. But, in my early years, when I was involved in programming, it was at a low-level, when memory was finite and measured in a kb or two. I started working at a university before the Internet and remember the queueing/scheduling of sending 5kb's from one University to another, which sometimes took a week to schedule. <I'm getting old> LOL
But, when it came to actually sending the data, it only used to take 6-7mins. Please remember that this was before such protocols as TCP/IP!

Oh well, that's progress for you...maybe I'm just reminiscing...

Here's the reply I got from Vision - at least I got my fiver back.

We suggest, if you have a 2010 or 2011 model, that you contact your manufacturer to see if they will be adding IC Streaming to its capabilities. If not, please follow the link below to see a list of devices that we know do support ICS and do work with this growing number of new services:

http://www.visiontvnetwork.co.uk/home/devices

Kind regards

Carolina Cubria Bacre

Vision247™
97-101 Cleveland Street"

So now we know. If we ever do (and probably won't) get IC streaming it certainly makes good sense to see if the FTV channels work before subscribing, but given the fact that I was able to navigate right through to inputting my log-in details it was tempting to press on just in case.

Chris,

I just had a quick look at the target page of that link and saw that it listed the model of my TV, namely 'Panasonic TX-P46GT30B'. So, I then had a look through the 'Portal' on my TV and there is no 'Vision' presence. I was actually looking for the French and Polish language stations (I worked in Poland for 6 years and would've loved to keep up with the language) that appeared on the Humax. Guess what? Not a single one... Funny that, huh?

Chris,

I just had a quick look at the target page of that link and saw that it listed the model of my TV, namely 'Panasonic TX-P46GT30B'. So, I then had a look through the 'Portal' on my TV and there is no 'Vision' presence. I was actually looking for the French and Polish language stations (I worked in Poland for 6 years and would've loved to keep up with the language) that appeared on the Humax. Guess what? Not a single one... Funny that, huh?

Instead of the portal access, have you tried just looking at channel 110 (after maybe a retune if you haven't done one lately)? After a while, on the Hummy, it just kinda drop into place as if it's a data channel. If you do see a screen, it may be worth signing up (but not paying anything after my experience!) For example, France 24 is F-T-V and should work for you if the system's going to work at all.

@RapsterUK regarding the email test, did you check outlook to see if its set to send any outgoing mails immediately? Its a tickbox under Tools/Options/Mail Setup in 2003.

It might be just a simple case that its set to 'sync' every 5 mins which would explain the delay.. Thats under Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Send & Receive/Schedule an automatic send & receive every x minutes.

Back